Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   What About the Sentimental & Keepsake Stuff? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490879)

badmisterkitty 02-11-2013 04:08 PM

What About the Sentimental & Keepsake Stuff?

As I'm working on "stuff," I'm coming across some keepsake and sentimental items. Stuff given to me by my grandmother who is now passed away, stuff from my own childhood, photos, etc.

So what do I do with it all? I'll admit I'm not overly attached to my baby blanket from my childhood or my Strawberry Shortcake dish set, but my mom saved it all these years. The short answer is to get rid of it, but I guess I'm wondering where everyone draws the line? Will I look back and wish I had saved certain things? What kinds of things would you definitely save?

How to minimize and declutter the keepsake stuff? Or how to repurpose or do something else creative with it??

I'd love to hear any and all stories....and also advice on photos, cards, 4-h ribbons, china and other kinds of things saved from childhood, wedding, etc. (And I'm not into scrapbooking at all.)

Interestingly, I have a few clothing items saved from when my kids were babies. But why? What am I going to do with them?

tallanvor 02-11-2013 04:22 PM

Re: What About the Sentimental & Keepsake Stuff?

Pick an amount of stuff you are willing to keep, and stick to it. DH and I each have basically a tub each. They aren't very big tubs, either. That's not counting pictures, which I still need to go through.

For the kids, we save very little. I saved the things that were made specifically for them and the outfits they came home from the hospital in. I do save awards they earn, but again, it's not much.

When we have multiples of things, I reduce that number. For instance, if you have 5 figurines that your grandma bought you, keep your favorite 2.

Those things your mom saved -- if your kids don't use them and you don't care for them anymore, get rid of them. I mean, we save things, especially for our kids because we think they might want them some day. We don't know what they are going to want, though. That's why I keep a few things. If they decide later they don't want them, that's not a big deal to me, but I would rather save a few things than have them upset I didn't save anything.

clothlover8 02-11-2013 04:28 PM

I'm dealing with this atm too. It's the thing I have left til last. Everything else has been fairly easy for me to declutter. What I am trying to do is ask myself why I am keeping it. If it's because my mother kept it for me but I really don't want it then I let it go because I try not to keep stuff because I feel guilty about not keeping it/someone else gave it to me etc.

The thing I am struggling with most is things the kids made me, little notes, drawings, first kindy paintings etc. What I have seen done and am thinking about doing if I can find the time is framing them and hanging them on the walls so they are utilised not just sitting in a box taking up space. I just need to get myself organised to do that lol.

P!nkPepper 02-11-2013 05:16 PM

Maybe take pix of it & store it on your photobucket or make shadow boxes of the most important items.

I just let go of a bunch of items from my grandmothers. She gave me her bell collection. I have nowhere to store it so I kept 4 and sold the rest. It was supposed to come with the cabinet but my aunt kept that after Granma went into the nursing home. It has been stuck in her house of hoarders for a decade. She can keep that.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

megenic 02-11-2013 05:22 PM

I am a professional organizer. When I'm working with clients I usually assign them one tote for sentimental stuff. They can keep whatever they want as long as it fits. If it overflows, decisions have to be made about what goes.

My husband has a hard time with this type Of stuff and the box limit has helped him.

P!nkPepper 02-11-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megenic (Post 16277173)
I am a professional organizer. When I'm working with clients I usually assign them one tote for sentimental stuff. They can keep whatever they want as long as it fits. If it overflows, decisions have to be made about what goes.

My husband has a hard time with this type Of stuff and the box limit has helped him.

This is great advice. I have a small-ish wooden box full of pictures, 3 year books, heirloom aprons, papers from DS1's schooling, a few of my old reports & report cards plus hard copies of our medical records.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

marliah 02-11-2013 06:20 PM

I like the box idea :thumbsup: also I highly suggest the photo idea, flylady clued me into that a few years ago and it has helpedme let go of many things.

~Laura~ 02-11-2013 06:42 PM

My mom kept lots of things for me with the intention that I do what I want with it. I kept a few things and got rid of the rest. The things I did keep are toys that my kids will play with. I took pictures of my art/school work. I have a few sentimental things that I kept because I use them and they fit the way I want my house to work.
For my kids, I keep school work and go through it every few months. At the end of the year I go through the whole box and get rid of tons, so it fits into one section of a file folder. My DD's art teacher uses Artsonia so I'm waiting until next year and having a photo book made of her major pieces of artwork from K-3. I plan to do another two books for later years. She'll end up with 3 books and a file folder of paperwork. Any other sentimental items she keeps on special shelves in her room, except for her doll cradle that holds her dolls. My boys have some keepsake cars and a rocking chair, all in their room. The cars are displayed and the chair is used. I have thought about going through drawings from all of their younger years and making photo books.

ArronDalesMama 02-11-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megenic

This is why we do. Except for pictures. I was camera junky as a kid and have so many pictures. But we look at them all the time. (4yo loves lookin at them) at least they are all organized and put in albums. No just random boxes.

leadmare 02-11-2013 09:49 PM

I second a designated box for physical things, and taking photos of things to "let go". This is what we're doing now. Sentimental stuff is hard!