Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Taking a large family to Disney World (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490882)

keithmommy 02-11-2013 03:14 PM

Taking a large family to Disney World

We are going in 2 weeks. Any advice? I've been there as a kid, but I know taking kids of my own will be totally different.

Tris 02-11-2013 03:16 PM

Re: Taking a large family to Disney World

Have fun, take breaks. How old are your kiddos?

keithmommy 02-11-2013 03:22 PM

13, 11, 9, 7, 5, 2, and 5 months. We're taking a double stroller, but we're considering a wagon as well. But I don't know if it will be too much.

Tris 02-11-2013 03:41 PM

Depending on how long you are going, I'd consider splitting up after lunch, at around 12-1. One can take the 5m,2 and 5 year old, back to the room to nap and get out of the hottest part of the day, ( although it may not be that bad in feb, we usually go in aug/ oct. ) and a much needed break from the stimulation. The other can continue on the rides and shows. Meet up a few hours later, have dinner, see the fireworks/ parades, then go back and to bed :D
We tend to go for a week to 10 days, so we try to take our time, it's better for the kids and us really.
A wagon would be a pain I would think. I'd count on a double stroller and a baby carrier.

Tris 02-11-2013 03:41 PM

Are you staying in the park? I can't imagine taking a wagon onto the transit buses.

keithmommy 02-11-2013 03:51 PM

We are not staying in the park this time, but we will when we go back in December. This is only a 5 day trip. I know we won't be able to do it all this time, but I've just decided not to stress about that. I am agreeing with you about the wagon though.

3Munchkins1togrow 02-11-2013 09:28 PM

We went last March with my 4 children, my 2nd cousin, and my niece. The kids were 6,5,4,3,2 and 4 months at the time. I used my Beco Gemeni for the baby the entire time, she was happy as a clam. My sister had a stroller for the 2 year old, we had a double stroller for our 3 and 4 year old, and the 5 and 6 year old walked. We went for 4 days, by the 4th day we rented a double stroller for the 5 and 6 year old because their legs were tired from 3 days of walking. What we did was let each kid pick out something they really wanted to do, they each got their own special thing, and we just planned the trip around that. For instance my 6 yo ds wanted to ride space mountain, so we made sure we got fast passes that morning. We rode things with short lines in close proximity while we waited for that. My 5 yo cousin wanted to meet Repunzel, so one adult stood in line while we took the other kids to ride rides and meet characters. With only 1 real goal a day there wasn't too much pressure to make it to here or there. We did not stay on property so we chose not to leave to nap mid day. We would go to a show or have lunch and the ones that needed sleep would usually take a quick nap in the stroller. We had a great time, I hope you and your family enjoy your trip!

luvsviola 02-11-2013 10:12 PM

Instead of a double stroller, we prefer two single strollers and 2 carriers. The carriers are a godsend waiting in long lines. Even DD, who was 5 last time, spent time in my Oh Snap waiting for Buzz Lightyear and Test Track.

With two singles, parents can go separate ways and each have a stroller. We bought a BJ City Mini for our last trip, and it was the perfect Disney stroller.

Rockinmama24 02-12-2013 07:00 AM

I agree with 2 strollers rather than a double. I ended up using my Boba most of the time. It's great when waiting in line. We take our time, rest as needed. We go back for an afternoon swim, have dinner at the resort & then return to the park or DTD in the evening. Sometimes we even go mini golfing.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

7 for now 02-12-2013 10:34 AM

We went with our 8 kids, at the time, in September 2011. They were 18, 16, 11, 8, 6, 4, 21 months, and 6 weeks old. We stayed a week and stayed on site. We had a blast. We did the dining plan since they were running a promotion on it. It was totally worth it for us. We used it for character dining.

I found dressing all in the same color allowed me to count heads quickly. Not necessarily matching but they wore all the same color. We did all match a couple days, wearing our Alabama shirts and Texas Ranger shirts.

I usually had dh walk in front followed by my oldest holding a little ones hand, then my next oldest holding another ones hand. I tried to keep my 21 month old in my Peg stroller. I pushed her and brought up the back, constantly keeping count! This is where the color thing came in so handy. I wore the 6 week old in the Ergo all day long, sometimes 12 hours a day and my back never hurt.

We also had a frame backpack we took and dh wore the 21 month old in it sometimes. We allowed her to walk sometimes also. When she walked I put the baby in the stroller laid down to stretch out.

We did fast passes but they really weren't necessary at that time of year. We also used the rider swap on the bigger stuff. But you would be surprised what all everyone can ride! We took lots of breaks and hit the stuff the absolutely wanted to do first. But we pretty much were able to stay in the parks all day. Then we all crashed web we got back to the hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum