Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Testing the WAHM Waters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   how do you compete with china cheapies? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490895)

MKDMama 02-11-2013 03:50 PM

how do you compete with china cheapies?

As a WAHM diaper maker..how do YOU compete with the china cheapies? (such as Alva, Sun baby etc) Seeing as many mothers want to "save" and only spend $5 or less on a diaper...what do you do to keep your business going? I feel these companies really take away from WAHM's and US based companies sometimes, and was wondering what other WAHM's think about them?

crystalanne79 02-13-2013 07:07 AM

Re: how do you compete with china cheapies?

I may not have "china cheapies" to compete with but there are certainly cheaper (MUCH cheaper) mama cloth makers out there and I honestly don't worry about it. The cheap pad market is not what I'm after. I want customers who want the best. I believe my pads are worth the price (and there are still higher priced brands then mine), I use much higher quality fabric then many and I have a better selection then all of my competition. I don't feel like the cheaper brands are taking away anything from me as there are many customers out there and some just have a different budget or different needs.

PBAki 02-13-2013 08:17 AM

I wouldn't worry too much in a sense that they are cheaply made for the most part if it's a Chinese based company. Kim's seen a lot of customers having issues with Chinese diapers and guess what, they tend end up buying better quality diapers in the end.

3 ladybugs 02-13-2013 09:06 AM

I am not a WAHM but can I just offer you all a :hugs: How sad that this is even an issue. It really makes me think.

shortcake2386 02-13-2013 09:21 AM

Not diapers but I don't worry. I've had people buy my products then ASK me how to make them "before they took it apart" to make some to sell:/ it didn't work lol. I believe you get what you pay for and CS from a china company that just sold you $3 diaper is worlds different from a wahm two states over who custom made the item of your dreams.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Mack 02-13-2013 09:32 AM

I think the people that buy the cheapie stuff aren't your target market anyway! Don't worry too much!

Kissed by the Moon 02-13-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack
I think the people that buy the cheapie stuff aren't your target market anyway! Don't worry too much!

I agree!

Sent from my iPhone- forgive the craziness

qsefthuko 02-13-2013 07:10 PM

I am not a wahm but can answer as a buyer. Yes I have bought China cheapies(not diapers but other things) when I cannot afford to buy better. As soon as I can afford it though I try to get a quality made item to replace the cheap item. I would rather pay more out and have something last than to buy a bunch of cheap items that will soon be in the trash.

mozartswannabe 02-14-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 16286433)
I am not a wahm but can answer as a buyer. Yes I have bought China cheapies(not diapers but other things) when I cannot afford to buy better. As soon as I can afford it though I try to get a quality made item to replace the cheap item. I would rather pay more out and have something last than to buy a bunch of cheap items that will soon be in the trash.

You pretty much stole the words from my mouth. I bought some alvas to test the pocket waters and bc I was building a stash on a very limited budget. I can tell you that when some extra money turned up for diapers I went right for my favorite WHAM.
I think that most customers will end up with the nicer, better quality and more expensive product eventually.

The Fancy Pansy 02-14-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack (Post 16284034)

:yeahthat:

I makes me :banghead: and :cry: to see how the "China Cheapies" devalue diapers in general, though.