Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Help me find a curriculum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490933)

erin_c_odonnell 02-11-2013 05:42 PM

Help me find a curriculum

Ok STILL after years and years of homeschooling have not found a curriculum we LOVE. Sigh. We've done:

Horizons, rod and staff, easy Grammer, switched on schoolhouse, apologia, and lifepacs.

I like aspects of each but I really want just a box for next year. Think its a stage I'm going through. I want simple easy bam- here you go kid- do this work and be done. Easy Grammer is great and I LOVE the set up of lifepacs BUT lifepacs is way too deep and I feel it goes over his head plus the questions are horribly worded. Is there any curriculums out there that use unit study style like lifepacs and covers all subjects??

Oh and we do want Christian based/ biblical world view. Thanks!

foggierbard9 02-11-2013 05:50 PM

Re: Help me find a curriculum

Have you looked at My Father's World? I don't know what age/grade you are looking at and we have only used K so far and will use 1st next year.

erin_c_odonnell 02-11-2013 06:57 PM

Duh I should have said grade lol :giggle2: 4th grade, 2nd and k. But mostly for the 4th grader. He tests between 4th and 5th grade so something challenging but not over his head (hands on is nice). Is My Fathers World like a unit study or how does it work? Anyone ever try Kronos? I've "heard" of it but never seen and don't know if its even still made.

tallanvor 02-11-2013 07:22 PM

Konos is good. I have heard a lot of good things about it.

I have Learning Adventures, which is unit study geared for 4th-8th grades. You would need to add your own math. If you take a look at that one and want it, let me know. I have a couple of them that I would be willing to sell you.

7mom7 02-11-2013 07:39 PM

I have a friend that does Konos but honestly it seems like a lot of planning to me. Just looking through the book overwhelms me.

I think I'm a Charlotte Mason girl at heart but I don't have time for the planning. We do Classical Conversations with a CM spin on it. I also like HOD a lot. We went with CC mainly for socialization but I do like the outline they follow. You could do CC with the foundations book for your whole crew without actually enrolling them in classes. The curriculum itself is really affordable and it could easily be used as a unit study. I also like Queen Homeschooling's Easy Packs, again not really a unit study but worth a look for something a bit different.

HeatherlovesCDs 02-11-2013 07:41 PM

Sounds like a perfect fit for MFW. Your 4th and 2nd and even K'er could all do the same core work in Bible, history, science, and read-alouds. They study the same subjects but with work assigned on their own level. It is a mix of classical and Charlotte Mason. It is well integrated with all subjects tying together. It is Biblically based. Each child would have their own separate LA and math on their own level. I suggest you check out their website and forum. They are very helpful on the forum. Their office is also very nice if you want to call them with questions.

Good Luck! :)

ETA - Here is a link to an overview of their curriculum philosophy. I think you will see it might be just what you are looking for. http://www.mfwbooks.com/setcnt/OVERVIEW

foggierbard9 02-12-2013 05:45 AM

With a 4th, 2nd, and K you could use their program that starts on the 5 year cycle, like Heather said. You would combine them for the main instruction and then they would do separate math and language arts.

erin_c_odonnell 02-12-2013 05:48 AM

Ok! Thanks ladies!! I have a friend in classical conversations and while I love the idea of it the classes here are SO expensive!! :thud: I wish we could afford it but no :sadno: ill check out MFW :thumbsup:

MyGlorylife 02-12-2013 07:14 PM

My faves are queen homeschooling- LOVE. If u want the school in a box thing check out their "easy pack"
If u are keen on more teaching by u. I do trail guide to learning for all my kids and the only thing I have to add is math- teaching textbooks

erin_c_odonnell 02-12-2013 08:12 PM

Ill check out the queens and learning adventures- never heard of those.

Question for the MFW people - I'm looking online and it just looks like a bunch of books?? Are there workbooks in there or do you just read or ?? Do you have to do all the planning yourself or how does it work?