Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   DS isn't getting math (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490953)

AVDesigns 02-11-2013 07:30 PM

DS isn't getting math

DS is really behind in math. He has NO number sense. He just turned 7 and with his aspergers and developmental delays I expected some difficulties, but it's beyond what I expected.
Tonight he had subtraction (which is harder for him than addition) and I tried to get him to do 1-1 on several different problems and he kept saying 3. I even showed him 1 pencil and then took 1 pencil away to show him that leaves 0 and he just wasn't getting it.
I feel like such a failure because I can't figure out how to make him learn it. I don't want him to struggle. :cry:

Suzi 02-11-2013 07:39 PM

Re: DS isn't getting math

Miquon with cuissenaire rods really helped my son finally get number sense. The rods alone may be enough but I needed the orange workbook and teachers guide. They do Saxon math at public school here and it wasn't clicking

Rdesonia 02-11-2013 07:42 PM

Just keep trying. We did pizza for subtraction and for fractions. I found $ helps with subtraction. (When DS was little I let him shop at the Dollar tree ... it's easier math.)

I liked to use "real" objects first and then write it on paper. We also did lots of cooking. (like baking cookies helps with adding. ) You might try having him set the table. Counting out how many forks are needed or simple practical applications. If Subtraction is stressing him out, focus on addition and counting and try again later.

AVDesigns 02-11-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdesonia (Post 16277992)
Just keep trying. We did pizza for subtraction and for fractions. I found $ helps with subtraction. (When DS was little I let him shop at the Dollar tree ... it's easier math.)

I liked to use "real" objects first and then write it on paper. We also did lots of cooking. (like baking cookies helps with adding. ) You might try having him set the table. Counting out how many forks are needed or simple practical applications. If Subtraction is stressing him out, focus on addition and counting and try again later.

Focusing just on addition would be easy if I homeschooled, but he's in public school so he's getting work assigned for the class. He would be on a K level in math if I had to guess...but 1st grade for everything else. He was lacking in reading, but he's picked up better...spelling is a little harder, but he's not as bad in spelling as in math.

rebeccalynne15 02-11-2013 08:16 PM

Not sure in your sons case but does he have an IEP ? If not ask in writing for them to do one and he can get extra help that way . My dd (13) had horrible problems with math but hers was adding ....every day u had to reteach her so she could do her homework she would finally get it by the end of the page but the next day you would have to start over . She is in 8th grade now and is in algebra . She still has problems adding:headscratch: . The funny thing was is she could always multiply but not add . I don't get it lol neither does the school psychologist. She was diagnosed with a memory issue . Hope u find something that works for him :hugs:

AVDesigns 02-11-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebeccalynne15 (Post 16278150)
Not sure in your sons case but does he have an IEP ? If not ask in writing for them to do one and he can get extra help that way . My dd (13) had horrible problems with math but hers was adding ....every day u had to reteach her so she could do her homework she would finally get it by the end of the page but the next day you would have to start over . She is in 8th grade now and is in algebra . She still has problems adding:headscratch: . The funny thing was is she could always multiply but not add . I don't get it lol neither does the school psychologist. She was diagnosed with a memory issue . Hope u find something that works for him :hugs:

yes, he does have an IEP. He has allowances for extra time on tests, someone scribing for him if needed and some reading allowances like someone reading his tests to him.
What modifications should I have added that pertain to this issue with math? I've actually contacted his teacher from last year (who we absolutely loved) to see what his opinion was of holding him back a year. Let him repeat 1st grade.

tallanvor 02-11-2013 09:29 PM

What is his learning style?

I think I have some curriculum I could send you to try. I know he isn't homeschooled, but this would just be the teachers manual and the DVD that goes with it. It is Math-U-See, if you want to look it over. Shoot me a pm if you are interested.

mibarra 02-11-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVDesigns (Post 16278182)

yes, he does have an IEP. He has allowances for extra time on tests, someone scribing for him if needed and some reading allowances like someone reading his tests to him.
What modifications should I have added that pertain to this issue with math? I've actually contacted his teacher from last year (who we absolutely loved) to see what his opinion was of holding him back a year. Let him repeat 1st grade.

Maybe he needs a different math curriculum that uses manipulatives... ?

AVDesigns 02-11-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mibarra (Post 16278523)
Maybe he needs a different math curriculum that uses manipulatives... ?

I really wish I could homeschool him or have a private tutor for him, but we can't afford for me to stay home and not likely we can afford a tutor either. Looking into maybe having someone a couple hours a week though.

ccserrano 02-11-2013 10:27 PM

Try local colleges. If they have an education program, they may have to do "hours" in different settings. I did for my degree. It's worth a shot.

Try using something your ds likes. M and m s, skittles, pretzles, Orange slices, grapes, etc. The tangible combined with the edible sometimes helps get over that math hurdle. If I have 1 m&m and you eat it, how many are left?

Hope this helps.