Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What would you do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490960)

somo_chickenlady 02-11-2013 08:04 PM

What would you do?

My DS has had all of his vaccines (and no, I'm not here to debate), except for his final Dtap. Back in October DS cut his finger on a broken glass while doing the dishes, and he got a tetanus shot in the ER. I didn't think anything of it, but when we got home I realized it was a Td shot. At the time we were homeschooling and we had no plans to move, so I wasn't too concerned (since the Tdap shot is required for public school. Well, we found out in December that we were moving and DS would go back into public school.

I thought the Td shot would be enough for the school, but I got a letter today saying that since it didn't include the pertussis vaccine he would need to get a Dtap, and I will only get one more notification before he is kicked out of school. There is no individual pertussis vaccine, but I'm really worried about him getting another tetanus and diptheria vaccine so soon after his last one.

What would you do if you were in my situation? Would you just get it done? Should I even be concerned? One of the biggest issues for me, besides not wanting him to have two so close together, is that we are in between insurance b/c DH just started a new job. Our new insurance doesn't kick in until May. :( I have no idea if he can even get a Dtap at one of those clinics like they have at Walmart, and we can't afford the bill to take him to a regular doctor. I doubt the school will care about that, though.

poohbear1208 02-11-2013 08:10 PM

I think target minute clinic does all vaccines, maybe call them to check? Sadly no advice on the rest since my kids are fully vaxed, so I'm not sure

CntryMama 02-11-2013 08:17 PM

Re: What would you do?

I is totally okau to get another tetanas so close - they say every 5-10 years but people who garden alot or are at a higher risk are suppose to get the whole Dtap shot thing ever couple years. I would feel differant if it was the MMR or really anything else but that one :)

Rdesonia 02-11-2013 08:23 PM

I think our Rite Aid gives vaccine shots too. (I would call local pharmacies and see which is cheapest). You might also call your local county health dept and see if qualify for a sliding scale or the cost if you don't. Often it is cheapest there.

tjs77tsa 02-11-2013 09:09 PM

It is fine to get him another one they give them to babies 2 months apart.

I would also contact the school and tell them you can not afford it. I know here the school nurses work for the health department and can give vaccines.

luvsviola 02-11-2013 09:29 PM

I would call your pediatrician and talk to him/her. IMO, this is why I pay the ped. :) Then, at the recommendation of the ped, I would visit the local health dept. Ours does vaccines for $20 a visit (1 or 10, it doesn't matter, it is $20 total).