Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Are you the primary breadwinner? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491000)

jamieism 02-11-2013 10:33 PM

Are you the primary breadwinner?

I am just curious how many of you mamas are the main woh parent.

We have always both worked but until this summer I was a student and then an academic so I had the "flexible" schedule and worked mostly at home. Now I wohm at a real corporate job (casual dress though - thankfully). I love my job but I miss my time with the girls after school and I miss being able to duck out every now and again.

No real point here, just over sharing

mibarra 02-12-2013 09:19 PM

Well, I wasn't, but DH has been unemployed since Jan 1. Hoping for a new job soon cuz he was 2/3 rds of our income!!!

USNsis 02-12-2013 09:32 PM

Re: Are you the primary breadwinner?

When he's not on full-time military orders, yes, I am. Being the breadwinner is overrated! ;)

organicmama10 02-12-2013 09:57 PM

Yes.....dreading going back to work. :(

jamieism 02-13-2013 12:16 AM

It's funny bc DH is an amazing dad and a much better cook than me and all that. And I really am loving my job. And sometimes those afternoons before dh got home would stretch on and on forever. But now I miss them. I feel like even though we didn't usually do all that much, those after school hours were important time with the kids. I also feel like there's a gender thing here. Like even with all the changes we don't blink twice when a dad is away all day or works late but as a mom...
Idk. Just whining...

mamazita 02-13-2013 12:20 AM

I am. dh has quite a few part-time gigs which equal my hours, but my income is 75% of our total. I would love for that to change, hopefully after baby #2/new school year (he's a band teacher).

keonli 02-13-2013 07:14 AM

DH makes a few thousand more than me a year. But since I do 90% of things for our home and our kids, I think that should make me the breadwinner. :)

Arabesque 02-13-2013 07:21 AM

We are pretty even in the earning department. My job does have the potential for more growth, but I don't see it happening. DH's job schedule is unpredictable, so I have to be the one to pick up the kids. I do think that my inability to even stay ten minutes late will impede my career.

DottieHarley 02-13-2013 07:30 AM

I bring home 2/3 of our total take home pay right now. But since all our monthly bills are auto debited from my checking, I often feel like I am working for free (and living fir free).
It's nice to know that I won't be totally up a creek if something happened to DH - but also I feel like I have less flexibility. I must remain employed and paid at this level.

Nerissa 02-13-2013 07:51 AM

DH brings home more money than I do--He works crappy hours and weekends and holidays

I bring home less money but our family insurance is through my job and employeer paid, I only work 227 days a year (that will change to 202 in the fall). I get 15 sick days, 3 emergency days a year (sick leave banks), so I always take off if needed. I am off work at 2:30 every day. Plus a lot of other benifits if needed--paid funeral days (dont' have to use em days.), ect