Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Convertable seat w/biggest torso height under $170 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491037)

Nerissa 02-12-2013 07:57 AM

Convertable seat w/biggest torso height under $170

I am starting too look for a convertable seat for DD. Probably sometime this summer we will move her from the bucket to a convertable seat. My kids have long torsos and seem to outgrow seats height wise. I also need to buy 2 seats as she is in both our vehicles. I really can't spend $200+ on each seat. I am determined to RF to at least 2 this time. I also can't afford to spend a bunch on seats and then have to buy new seats in a couple years.

The seat can't be any wider than a baby trend bucket seat to fit in DH's truck.

They don't have to be the same seat so if there is a cheaper narrow seat that can longer for DH's truck (he does daycare drop off). My van it doesnt' matter and we take it for any travel.

sandrc 02-12-2013 08:05 AM

Graco my size 70 and Safety 1st complete air are tall seats

ulawolf 02-12-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandrc (Post 16279111)
Graco my size 70 and Safety 1st complete air are tall seats

I have the my size 70 and really like it. our 10 mo dd is rear facing

Nerissa 02-12-2013 09:42 AM

Re: Convertable seat w/biggest torso height under $170

thanks-- I am hoping to get to Babys R us or Buy Buy baby over spring break to test a few out.

mrosehughes 02-12-2013 09:47 AM

The my size 70 is the tallest RFing shell on the market.

jemanly02 02-12-2013 09:57 AM

We have a Graco Size4Me70 and a Headwise70. It's the same seat as the MySize70, just depends on where you buy it. The Headwise70 is sold at Target and has the Safety Surround, but is $20 more. I got our Size4Me70 on RightStart.com and was able to sign up for the newsletter and get $10 off, so it was less than $175 with tax! We LOVE our new seats, which were bought to replace a Marathon 70 and a TrueFit for our fast growing boy.

jjordan 02-12-2013 10:33 AM

The baby trend bucket is very narrow. You might have a problem trying to fit a convertible (especially a tall one) in where the bucket seat currently is. It might help if you are willing to replace your other kids' seats with narrower ones. Can you tell us the ages/weights/heights of all your kids, as well as what seats they currently ride in and how much growing room they have in their seats?

Nerissa 02-12-2013 01:09 PM

I am not willing to replace the boy's seats especially since they are not in DH's truck that often --Daily only needs to be DS2 and DD since he takes them to daycare. DS1 goes to school and rides the bus from our house. I dont have that much money. There is wiggle room in the back of his truck. The back seat is huge.

In DH's truck-- A toyota tundra we currently have

DS1--6yrs, 55lbs, 50-52in tall (not really sure but over 50") in a backless booster (in the middle)
DS2-- 3.75yrs, 36lbs, 38ish inches tall (Graco Natualis)
DD--4 months 13lbs 25in long. (baby trend bucket)

In my van--
DS1--6yrs, 55lbs, 50-52in tall (not really sure but over 50") Nautalis in HBB (he is too tall for the harnus)
DS2-- 3.75yrs, 36lbs, 38ish inches tall (Graco Natualis)
DD--4 months 13lbs 25in long. (baby trend bucket)

maramarrie 02-13-2013 12:34 AM

The Britax Roundabout 50 Classic is the tallest Britax seat; and possibly the cheapest since you can find it around $100 on sale. It's not a high weight limit seat, so it won't last most kids for a long time, but it (and it's Marathon Classic counterpart) have lasted my DS to age 4 RF, even with the low weight limit (he's about 25th percentile for weight). I think that there are more versatile seats out there (as far as size limits go), so it may not be a seat that works for everyone. It just happens to be what we have and works well for us. The Britax 70 seats are at least 1" shorter, so even with a higher weight limit they don't really last much longer...and definitely not for a tall or long-torso kid.