Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   COCONUT OIL, and what I discovered about rashes and yeast (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491144)

nikkchikk 02-12-2013 12:32 PM

COCONUT OIL, and what I discovered about rashes and yeast

Hello, I'm Nikki, new here, and biding my time until I can verify myself as a seller (I've got a stack of barely used freetimes I want to sell. FYI for future reference, they were never used with the yeast problem described below).

We have been diapering our 1 year old baby girl Harper since she was 4 months old. Around 9-10 months my husband and I were dealing with TERRIBLE rashes. We tried desitin and disposables, sessions of bare butt time, frequent changes, baby powder, sensitive wipes, cloth/water wipes, you name it. When she got a peeling yeast rash, we took her to the doctor and started with nystatin ointment. It worked, but we couldn't use cloth during treatment and when it cleared up and we went back to cd, the rash ALWAYS came back. Finally, after lots of internet reading, we found our solution.

It turns out that Harper is sensitive to wipes and rash creams of all kinds. They cause her to breakout, and the moisture from wearing a diaper turned into a full blown rash. When it got as bad as a yeast rash, the yeast stayed in the cloth. After reading online, we found out that's why it kept coming back! Not even baby powder helped, and it was a shock to find out that baby powder makes the yeast multiply too!

1. Stripping (Blue dawn) the diapers
2. Sun bleaching the diapers
3. Yeast killing wash for the diapers (There are lots of ways to do this, but we used *chlorine* bleach and cold water)
4. USING COCONUT OIL IN PLACE OF ALL RASH CREAMS/OINTMENTS
5. Paper towel Wipes (Water, baby wash, coconut oil solution)

When I read about natural rash solutions, coconut oil was frequently mentioned, and many said it was safe for cloth so I picked up a big jar from my local health food store for $15. I figured if it didn't work, at least I could use it for cooking oil ;) From the get go, I just slathered it on her butt and the healing began almost immediately. Then I made a solution of water, baby wash and coconut oil and poured it over paper towels to use as wipes. We used disposables until I was SURE the rash was gone, and then began with the freshly sanitized cd's. We've had no problems since, and no repelling. :) COCONUT OIL ROCKS!!

I hope this can help someone! :)

tentrevival 02-12-2013 12:48 PM

Re: COCONUT OIL, and what I discovered about rashes and yeast

This is so great! It is so encouraging to read a mama's story who fixed her conundrum. It sucks so much for our babies to be hurting, and sometimes it seems like you'll never figure it out. So glad you found what works!

simplykarenp 02-12-2013 12:51 PM

I use chamomile tea in place of the water in my wipes solution and it works wonderfully. Chamomile has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti- inflammatory and anti-parasitic properties. I mix it with a squirt of dr bronners baby mild soap and coconut oil. I also slather my baby's bum with coconut oil if she had a hint of redness, by that next diaper change, redness is gone.

Pixi6s 02-12-2013 12:51 PM

does your coconut oil solidify? Have you found a way to stop this?

nikkchikk 02-12-2013 12:51 PM

Thank goodness for the internet or else I would still be dealing with this. The ladies at cotton babies told me not to use any creams. I couldn't accept that so I looked online for answers. No other moms I know cd, although I've tried to convert them. It's not for everyone. My husband wanted to do it from the get go, but I was resistant because I thought of prefolds and safety pins ;P

nikkchikk 02-12-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixi6s (Post 16280632)
does your coconut oil solidify? Have you found a way to stop this?

It's solid when it's under 76 degrees. Above that temp, it's liquid so it liquefies when I rub it on her butt and when I warm it over the stove with water for the wipes solution. I keep the jar next to my bin of wipes just like I would any oterh diaper cream.

webMistress 02-12-2013 01:04 PM

I love coconut oil!! I started using it as a facial moisturizer after a friend rec'd it, & it made a huge difference in my skin. The whole family uses it as a moisturizer now, & we also use it as a diaper rash cream. That jar will go a long way.

Pixi6s 02-12-2013 01:06 PM

once its its in the wipes solution does it stay liquid? We've been using it, getting rid of yeast, and it's such a pain liquefying it in time. I have no issues using it with yeast, but too hard to use all the time.

My son is daytime PL. If/when I saw a hint of diaper rash coming I would just use lanolin or our body oil, 1 pt caster oil to 3pt sunflower oil. I also found Grapefruit Seed Extract in distilled water 10-15 drops per oz to be a life saver for rash and yeast. I like the idea of chamomile as well. I'll have to remember that for #2 :)

nikkchikk 02-12-2013 01:18 PM

I use a round tupperware with a lid with half a paper towel roll inside at room temp. I have not noticed any solidifying at all. The recipe I use is 2 cups warmed (pre boiled) water, 1 Tbsp coconut oil, and a squirt of baby wash. I mix it all together until oil is completely melted and pour it over the paper towels.

I have heard of grapeseed oil, and that as going to be my next go to if the coconut didn't work.

Webmistress, I use it for night face lotion too and I have seen a big difference!

Pixi6s 02-12-2013 01:30 PM

Thanks.

Actually it's Grapefruit Seed Extract it's a bit different that grapeseed oil.
http://www.amazon.com/Nutribiotic-Gs.../dp/B000M8HQD4

this is the brand we've used too.

I'm sure grapeseed oil has some of the same properties but it isn't the same per say

good luck!