Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   What is the smallest (weight wise) baby that you would put into a convertible Britax? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491214)

3 ladybugs 02-12-2013 02:51 PM

What is the smallest (weight wise) baby that you would put into a convertible Britax?

I just found out today that I may have my scheduled c-section as early as 36 weeks. This puts me around 4th of July so I don't know it will work out that way (need a team of doctors on standby for this delivery), but I like to be prepared. We were planning on getting an Advocate for this baby but with this news, I am wondering if I should look closer at bucket seats. :headscratch: At 36 weeks the baby could theoretically be considered a well baby at the hospital I deliver at and go home with me at discharge. They consider term 36 weeks. I will likely get a good estimate of how big this baby will be at delivery from my peri. So I can get a seat with that information.

The baby so far is measuring a belly of about 1 week ahead, so I would assume tall torso but that would be an assumption being this far out. My son was the same way though and born at 38 weeks at 8 lbs 1 oz at birth.

So what would you do?

Kelbel81906 02-12-2013 02:57 PM

Re: What is the smallest (weight wise) baby that you would put into a convertible Bri

I would look at something like a Combi Coccoro. You'd get the benefit of using the seat longer than an infant seat since it's a convertible, but it fits smaller babies better. I've used ours through 2 kiddos now and it's our 2nd seat for newborns (we use a Chicco Keyfit in our primary vehicle). Nicki's Diapers has them 10% off with free shipping right now.

Tris 02-12-2013 02:59 PM

Re: What is the smallest (weight wise) baby that you would put into a convertible Bri

I'd put a babe in at 5lbs :)

ktmelody 02-12-2013 03:08 PM

Weight doesn't matter....the seat is rated at 5 pounds (in that area) but good luck getting the shoulder straps below the shoulder for proper rear facing (at or below the shoulder)

My 19.5 baby at 8.14 ounces was not long enough for a Britax.

Combi coccorro was the best fit for us.

shortcake2386 02-12-2013 03:23 PM

dd is 11lbs and the shoulder straps are still too high on the lowest setting of our britax, she is almost 8 months old. ds was 4.5 lbs at 36 weeks, came home at 4lbs and theres NO way. the graco rated to 5lbs was still technically too big:hide:

3 ladybugs 02-12-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmelody (Post 16281285)
Weight doesn't matter....the seat is rated at 5 pounds (in that area) but good luck getting the shoulder straps below the shoulder for proper rear facing (at or below the shoulder)

My 19.5 baby at 8.14 ounces was not long enough for a Britax.

Combi coccorro was the best fit for us.

I thought that the infant insert helps with that problem. Does it not work? :headscratch:

jjordan 02-12-2013 04:01 PM

I think some of the confusion might be that when Britax revamped their convertibles, they were made much more newborn-friendly (even without the insert). If someone is using a first generation convertible, then it is common for those to not fit until a baby is 3-6 months old (despite a minimum weight rating of 5#). The newer convertibles (2nd and 3rd generation) are good for average or large newborns, as-is, and good for smaller newborns with the insert (sold separately).

If you want to use the advocate from birth, then I'd go ahead and get it, as well as the infant positioning insert. Once the baby is born, see if it looks like an acceptable fit to you. If not then have a back-up plan. :)

ktmelody 02-12-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs

I thought that the infant insert helps with that problem. Does it not work? :headscratch:

Not really, lol.

The torso height is 10.5 inches (I think). Very few newborns fit in a Britax at birth even with the insert.

monica-m 02-12-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmelody (Post 16281595)
Not really, lol.

The torso height is 10.5 inches (I think). Very few newborns fit in a Britax at birth even with the insert.

Like Jjordan said, I think there is some confusion here. According to this: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=150687 the Advocate has 9 inch bottom slots without the infant insert that goes under the seat cover. The slots are even lower with the insert because it boosts the baby's bum up. I don't know that it would be a good fit for a 4 pound baby, but an average newborn will fit.

For a teeny tiny baby, I would look at the Coccoro or the Maxi Cosi Pria.

3 ladybugs 02-13-2013 05:39 AM

My son that walks around talking (currently reading a book) was 4 lbs at 30 weeks. I guess I can judge at that point if I am going to have a tiny baby or not. :laugh:

Thanks for the help!