Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Does your child's class have a room parent? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491328)

KLeeCW 02-12-2013 10:51 PM

Does your child's class have a room parent?

Do they do anything? At all?

DS's kindergarten room parent does not. She has only sent one email for a Halloween party and nothing before or since. Nothing special for Thanksgiving, or the 100th day of school, nothing for Valentine's day on Thursday. DS says she has come in a few times to read to the class. Why volunteer for something if you aren't going to put in the effort?

I was a room parent for DS's preschool. I wanted to do it again this year, but I was 9 months pregnant when the school year started (DD was born mid September). I told this year's teacher I'd do it if no one else would, but 5 other people asked, so I figured it was all good and I'd just volunteer my time or resources.

The room parent doesn't send emails asking for help or to plan anything. She doesn't respond to emails either. It's just left me :headscratch:. I just sent an email to DS's teacher asking if there is anything I can do for Valentine's Day on Thursday. I don't think it's fair to the kids not to be able to do any celebrations because an adult can't get it together. I can understand being overwhelmed or having personal things arise where you can no longer keep a commitment, but why not tell the teacher or ask one of the other parents to step in?

BeccaSueCongdon 02-12-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLeeCW
Do they do anything? At all?

DS's kindergarten room parent does not. She has only sent one email for a Halloween party and nothing before or since. Nothing special for Thanksgiving, or the 100th day of school, nothing for Valentine's day on Thursday. DS says she has come in a few times to read to the class. Why volunteer for something if you aren't going to put in the effort?

I was a room parent for DS's preschool. I wanted to do it again this year, but I was 9 months pregnant when the school year started (DD was born mid September). I told this year's teacher I'd do it if no one else would, but 5 other people asked, so I figured it was all good and I'd just volunteer my time or resources.

The room parent doesn't send emails asking for help or to plan anything. She doesn't respond to emails either. It's just left me :headscratch:. I just sent an email to DS's teacher asking if there is anything I can do for Valentine's Day on Thursday. I don't think it's fair to the kids not to be able to do any celebrations because an adult can't get it together. I can understand being overwhelmed or having personal things arise where you can no longer keep a commitment, but why not tell the teacher or ask one of the other parents to step in?

My oldest is just now in preschool, and we don't have a room parent. Is it possible that her role hasn't been well defined and she doesn't know what's expected of her? I've never even heard of a room parent until DS.

shortcake2386 02-12-2013 10:56 PM

Re: Does your child's class have a room parent?

yeah im pretty sure she has stock in hersheys:/ they come home with cadny at least once a week ugh.

KLeeCW 02-12-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon (Post 16282974)
My oldest is just now in preschool, and we don't have a room parent. Is it possible that her role hasn't been well defined and she doesn't know what's expected of her? I've never even heard of a room parent until DS.

Oh she definitely knows! I wish I could give her the benefit of the doubt. We met her in the beginning of the year at the welcome event. DH, who is really quiet and never says bad things about anyone, said immediately when we got home how full of herself she was. She went on and on about how she was going to do this because she hated how her older kid's room parent didn't do anything or how they skimped on things. And how she hoped she wouldn't have to chase down all the parents to get them to help. Ironic now because I'm the one chasing her down to get things done. I almost think she volunteered for the title and now is too embarrassed to step down. Either way, it's frustrating because the kids are the ones who lose out.

Kimmyann 02-13-2013 03:54 AM

My son's school has two room moms there was a lottery to pick them although only 4 signed up anyway. All they do is basically organize parties for the teacher. Our public school only allows parties at Halloween, Christmas, Valentines and End of year. Basically all they do is send out an email with a list of items they want parents to send in for the party and the first person who emails back in saying they will bring napkins, cupcakes, ect..gets to bring in that item. Parents are not allowed into the classroom during school hours except on Parent day at the beginning of the year. The two room moms are also the only parents allowed to go on the field trip at the end of the year. Our room moms must have a volunteer background check before being allowed to become room mom's. I know in our school at least the teacher tells the room mom what she wants or needs.

jbug_4 02-13-2013 04:18 AM

No room parent. I wish there was. Parties always end up being the responsibility of the people who signed up at the beginning of the year to help with parties. Of the 5 who signed up only me and one other parent ever actually does anything. matter of fact we do everything for all the parties. For Valentine's day the teacher is taking control because she see us doing everything and trying to get help. Guess the teacher figured she might get someone else involved. Neither one of us (parents) actually mind doing the parties but its not what we expected and had we known this was the way it would go it would have caused us far less frustrations. We could have handled things a lot differently. Funny though even for the this party that the teacher has organized- i am still bringing the food and working in the classroom and the other mom is still doing the craft and working in the classroom. So still going to be just us, we're just not doing the organizing this time.

luvsviola 02-13-2013 06:33 AM

We don't have room parents. The PTO sends out an electronic sign-up for each event, and people just sign up for what they want to do.

Rhianna'sMommy 02-13-2013 06:52 AM

No room parents here. At the start of the year there is a sign up to bring stuff for parties. One teacher asked one of those volunteers to plan the parties but the other 2 just planned it themselves. One teacher actually didn't do an actual 'party' - she just incorporated fun stuff into the whole day around lessons. Dd1 actually liked that the best. A whole day of fun instead of an hour.

Rhianna'sMommy 02-13-2013 06:52 AM

No room parents here. At the start of the year there is a sign up to bring stuff for parties. One teacher asked one of those volunteers to plan the parties but the other 2 just planned it themselves. One teacher actually didn't do an actual 'party' - she just incorporated fun stuff into the whole day around lessons. Dd1 actually liked that the best. A whole day of fun instead of an hour.

jes750 02-13-2013 07:35 AM

My sons preschool has a room mom. There are only 10 kids in his class so she just talks with everyone rather than emailing or anything like that. Everyone pitches in but she organizes stuff.