Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Anybody homeschooling a preschooler? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491334)

Ashsmama 02-12-2013 11:32 PM

What are they working on?
Do you use a curriculum? If so, what?
What subjects do they have?

I am new to homeschooling but I am certain it's what I want to do. I'm going to take it one semester at a time.
I want to start preschool with my daughter this fall. I don't want her to be doing too much but I want her to be learning something.
So far, I had planned on doing Signing Time DVDs and maybe another language like, Italian or Spanish. I was also going to try having her do ABCMouse.com. I don't know much about the website but from the commercials I've seen it has age appropriate reading and math skills.
Is this too much? Or, not enough learning of basics?
I really don't even know where to start.

Also, how do you have things organized? How do you record grades? What do you grade? Do you have report cards?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks in advanced!

Edit for another question:
(I forgot to mention that she'll be 3 this fall.) Should I start phonics with her? Or until kinder?

3 ladybugs 02-13-2013 05:06 AM

Re: Anybody homeschooling a preschooler?

I started when my son was 3 years 3 months. This wasn't because of anything other then money. DH got a job (after a 7 month lay off) and so we had money and this was a top priority for us. I started my son on Calvert Pre-K. I thought it was good for this age, and a good way to ease him into schooling. My son is now 4 years 4.5 months and we are about 1/3 of the way through kindergarden (also Calvert). I should point out that I have had time off because of the pregnancy and my inability to homeschool when battling morning sickness, so my son is a bit behind where I would like him at this point, but that isn't his fault. I love this curriculum and feel it is worth the cost. Very complete and keeps track of the important stuff for me for grading purposes. Right now he has "check points" or mini tests for Math and Language. Last year he had no "checkpoints". Next year they add Social studies to the checkpoints and also he will get formal tests.

I should add that I am the exception and not the rule when it comes to starting as early as I did. However my son was wanting it and begging for it so I wasn't going to try to piecemeal something together for him.

foggierbard9 02-13-2013 05:18 AM

We don't really do a sit down learning with our kids until they reach the Kindergarten age, but I did do some little things here and there when they asked and used ABC Jesus Loves Me. It is free online and has curriculum for ages 2-5.

I would not push phonics on her until she really shows an interest or until Kindergarten.

erin_c_odonnell 02-13-2013 05:30 AM

We just read, read, read at this age. We do numbers, write our names, basic stuff that's free and play on starfall.com a lot (free). Other than that this is a good age for just play- based learning. Doesn't need a heavy schedule etc. fun age so just enjoy ;)

HeatherlovesCDs 02-13-2013 08:06 AM

No formal pre-k here. My children learn through play until they start a formal but relaxed K program when they are 5 in the fall. I do give them worksheets and workbooks and crafts and such because they ask to do "school" while I am doing it with my older. They don't do much and only when they ask. I give them random pages focusing on letters, numbers, shapes or whatever.

Personally, I would not do a formal phonics program with a 3 year old, especially a young 3. I might do the BOB books or something like that if they are asking, but otherwise, I wouldn't.

blondeviolin 02-13-2013 08:17 AM

Three at our house means playing outside, helping Mommy cook or bake, singing songs, and playing on Starfall, learning to make a bed and do other chores. My current 3yo does have a "school" book, but she's my first and only because she demands one. It is the What Your Preschooler Needs To Know activity book and very open and go. When she asks, we do a page or three (she usually wants more!), but nothing is done daily.

I did nothing formal with my older 2, and it didn't hinder them in the least.

Leah52 02-13-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erin_c_odonnell (Post 16283220)
We just read, read, read at this age. We do numbers, write our names, basic stuff that's free and play on starfall.com a lot (free). Other than that this is a good age for just play- based learning. Doesn't need a heavy schedule etc. fun age so just enjoy ;)

Yep, this is what we do. If you plan on homeschooling long term then think about it this way: preschool is a pretty new idea, little kids used to stay home until they were about 7 then they started school. (Most states do not have compulsory attendance laws until the child is 6-8.) The main point of preschool is to transition young children from home life to school life and if you are homeschooling there is no need for this transition.

So far you have taught your baby to walk, talk, eat with a spoon, drink from a cup, draw pictures, have good manners etc. Just continue with what you are doing, allowing her to play, helping her to learn new things at an age appropriate level. Read, have fun, follow her lead and you will have a great time without feeling pressured to keep up with a set curriculum intended for children who will go to school.

7mom7 02-13-2013 11:44 AM

While I totally agree with the play and teach as you go philosophy I'm one of the parents that does like a curriculum at a young age. For us, the day is long and having some type of structured school work is easy to fit in. We still do a TON of reading, cooking, and playing as well. My 3 year old participates in "circle time" where we focus on memorization like address, phone number, days of the week, months of the year, calendar time, number flashcards, animal of the day (flashcard), bible, and shapes. He was doing this at 2 because he wanted to participate with brother. I pick and chose from that list, we don't do them all at once. He does Hooked on Phonics a couple of times a week and he has Handwriting Without Tears because he wanted a book like his brother had. I spend very little focused one on one attention with him. Maybe 10 minutes? We gather items in a bucket that start with a certain letter and write the words on the board. We probably spend a grand total of 20 minutes on his "school." I found with my kids that starting early and making it part of our lives works really well. We have never faced resistance on doing any type of school work. They are always excited and happy about it. I have friends that have waited until their kids were older and really struggled to get them to do any type of workbook activities. While I'm not a huge fan of workbooks we do use them for handwriting and math.

7mom7 02-13-2013 11:49 AM

Forgot touch on "grades and report cards." I never test my kids on anything. I don't grade anything, especially not at 3. With my older son I look over his work and if there are mistakes he erases and corrects them. I'm not at all concerned with assigning a number grade to anything. I can tell if they are learning or not.

Ashsmama 02-13-2013 03:29 PM

Thank you for all of your responses!
I do love having her learn through play. Which is how we got to where we are now. She knows the alphabet and recognizes the letters, she knows her numbers to twenty and recognizes them, she knows shapes and colors, and she speaks well for her age (I think).
I just feel like she's bored. She's always asking questions and wants to know how things work.
I don't want to do a rigid schedule. I was thinking maybe an hour of "school work". Most of the stuff I was going to get her are DVDs and online games to use as her "curriculum".

Once again, thank you for all of the input!