Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Anyone do a raw diet for their dog? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491342)

3 ladybugs 02-13-2013 05:35 AM

Anyone do a raw diet for their dog?

Right now my dog is on Wellness dog food. Not the grain free stuff. Last night we went to a presentation on holistic animal care and now we are thinking of switching our PPPP (poor pathetic pampered pooch) to a grain free or even raw diet.

What made you switch to raw? Did you have small children at the time? The holistic vet said that all the dogs that she has seen on a raw diet were in amazing health. No dental problems, great coat and all. We don't have problems with either of those with our dog, but we are wondering if he is mildly allergic to grains.

Belbaby3728 02-13-2013 06:01 AM

I used to have 5 dogs on raw. Currently have 2 dogs and stopped doing raw because my youngest is allergic to Chicken and that was our staple meat. Chicken making 60-80 percent of diet made raw affordable for us. He just couldn't handle it so we stopped as couldn't afford alternate meats like turkey/rabbit/fish/beef for every meal. Sucks because yes they were much healthier on raw.

craigwick 02-13-2013 06:02 AM

Re: Anyone do a raw diet for their dog?

Haven't gone the raw route (though I met someone who has and her great danes were the most glossy looking dogs I have ever seen!) but we are grain free as our older dog has always had issues with gluten (and possibly dairy, but allergy testing was way to expensive as we had to travel to the next province to get it done, so the vet recommended we go gluten free and vegetarian).

He is back to a meat based food (not sure if it is available in the states, it is made by Horizon Pet Food and the particular food is Pulsar) that is made with pulses (lentils/peas). I just don't think I could deal with the raw diet unless I could feed them outside all the time (too cold in the winter for that) as it just weirds me out!

3 ladybugs 02-13-2013 10:36 AM

:bump: for more responses and the afternoon rush. :goodvibes:

november 02-13-2013 10:43 AM

I have considered it many times because I think its best. It all boiled down to not.having enough time or energy in this season on my life to commit to this so I just choose the best possible kibble instead. Subbing this thread, though!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

3 ladybugs 02-13-2013 02:25 PM

Glad we are not the only ones considering this! :goodvibes:

tcat216 02-13-2013 03:41 PM

I feed all three of my dogs a prey model raw diet which is 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ. For example, my four pound dog eats four ounces a day so 28 ounces a week. He would get about three ounces bone (I use chicken wings cut into sections), three ounces organ (mostly beef liver), and the rest boneless meat (I use beef because stuff like lamb and bison are too expensive and I don't like to feed pork :yuck:).

You don't have to calculate every meal everyday. You can just eye it and if they start getting too skinny, start feeding them more (or less if they start getting too fat).

A good website to research is preymodelraw.com

Malenkaya 02-13-2013 03:54 PM

I feed our two pugs raw. I commend those with the time and energy to figure out what the dogs need and do it from scratch. I buy the prepackaged. Ours are currently eating Northwest Naturals from a local store that actually delivers it for free straight to our door at no additional charge. Stella & Chewys, Nature's Variety and Primal are also all good brands. If you go to http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com you can read about all kinds of dog foods and see how they rate.

I did a lot of research on dog food before getting our first pug (I also worked several years at a vet clinic before DD was born) and I just believe it's the best and most natural thing you can feed your dog. Our pugs are still relatively young, but they have never had to go to the vet for being sick, only vaccines and standard check ups. I'm a big believer in feeding raw.

Chasing Zen 02-13-2013 04:10 PM

I feed our Flat Coated Retriever a raw diet...mostly chicken and beef with bones . I started because of some health issues (Seizure Disorder in our old dog that passed as well as Dexter's eye condition called Pannus)....it hasn't helped much with the eye condition, but his coat is healthier as are his teeth and gums.

cristancanoe 02-13-2013 04:25 PM

we did the BARF diet for our dog a few years ago. When we moved to Alaska it wasn't feasible to continue in our budget. We feed innova dry food now. If I could work it out back to raw I would!