Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   My DD has a rash no matter what I do. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491385)

greencrunchymama 02-13-2013 08:25 AM

My DD has a rash no matter what I do.

My DD has rashes off and on all the time it seems. I am so frustrated! We were doing all cotton and wool and then she got a rash from the wet cotton against her skin I guess so we started using stay dry liners. That helped but now she's got another rash. :banghead: I use Tide but I believe she was still rashy when we used other detergents. I feel like her body hates cloth diapers :( I am about ready to sell off my stash!

Any suggestions?

Update: I think I finally found what was causing the rash. I believe the serging on the soaker on her workhorses was rubbing her. :banghead: Now it looks like I'll have to destash them and figure out something else. :)

mollypeters 02-13-2013 08:29 AM

Re: My DD has a rash no matter what I do.

have you tried lanolin? it washes out of diapers with normal laundering, so u don't have to worry about buildup

qsefthuko 02-13-2013 08:31 AM

How many rinses? Have all the detergents had enzymes? If so is it possible she is reacting to that? Could it be something you(if nursing) or she is eating? Perhaps not enough fluids? Could it be concentrated urine causing it? Perhaps acidic juice?

Tris 02-13-2013 08:34 AM

What does she eat? And if she's breastfeeding, what do you eat? How often is she changed?

greencrunchymama 02-13-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollypeters (Post 16283748)
have you tried lanolin? it washes out of diapers with normal laundering, so u don't have to worry about buildup

I'll have to try some. It is just so sticky it makes everything gross! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 16283759)
How many rinses? Have all the detergents had enzymes? If so is it possible she is reacting to that? Could it be something you(if nursing) or she is eating? Perhaps not enough fluids? Could it be concentrated urine causing it? Perhaps acidic juice?

I do 2 rinses. I think all of the detergents have enzymes. It's always little bumps. She's never had juice. I'll have to see if more water helps. :) Thanks for the suggestions. :hugs:

greencrunchymama 02-13-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris (Post 16283764)
What does she eat? And if she's breastfeeding, what do you eat? How often is she changed?

She eats a lot of fruits and veggies. I eat a gluten soy and corn free diet. She's changed like every hour. I go through so many diapers. :(

WannaBeGreen2011 02-13-2013 08:56 AM

Is it a rash or perhaps excema? I thought my son had a rash so we started using baby powder at every change. Baby powder is frowned upon since it can be harmful, but I was desperate. It worked for a bit then stopped. I took baby to the doc and found out its excema (which we knew he had) that's aggravated by the diapers. So basically he'll have it until he's PL'ed. It's not serious and doesn't seem to bother him, but we've been bathing him in Cerave wash and that seems to have helped some.

From my iPhone, probably while BF'ing.

boysniris 02-13-2013 09:57 AM

Where is she getting this bumpy rash? Have you tried any type of regular ointment in the area, just a thin layer to help protect her skin? My son always had to have stay-dry as well as breathable covers or he'd be rashy too. I think you're doing the right thing w/the breathable wool. What kind of stay-dry liners are you using?

hippiechick77 02-13-2013 09:59 AM

We found that an oatmeal bath soak like Aveeno helped short term and DS had eczema and other rashes. We had a lot of rash issues so for us Tide seemed to help plus occasionally boiling or small amount of bleach to get them extra clean. It took a long time to figure out that for us it was not a rinse issue but getting them clean enough.

FernHollow 02-13-2013 10:11 AM

I have so been there :hugs: I loved CDing my other 4 (for the most part), but it has become such a struggle with my 18mo. I actually sort of hate cloth at this point and wish he was PLed. It is working for him right now though, so I stick with it despite not enjoying it :( I have found that he absolutely cannot handle detergents with optical brighteners and enzymes. I know we talked about it before, but Country Save (with a vinegar rinse) has been a total lifesaver for us. He is fine even in PUL now that has been washed only ever in Country Save, which is a huge deal for us. He still gets rashy if I don't change super frequently or if he poops during nap (which is daily it seems). Just FYI, but when I tried switching to natural disposables he had just as many rashes. Some kids are just sensitive.

I've had the best luck sticking with plain organic cotton, making sure he is cleaned and fully dried at each change and then using coconut oil as a barrier. We actually have had better luck with Pampers sensitive wipes over natural sposie wipes or even cloth with gentle wipes solutions. They work better for him than even plain water actually. I know that I've met a few other mamas that have found the same.