Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Trainers... would this make any sense? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491427)

DottieHarley 02-13-2013 11:45 AM

Trainers... would this make any sense?

There is a point here, I promise :giggle:
DD is 2 and has been showing major signs of readiness (we'll start after a week long visit to IL's next month).
I have non-waterproof gerber trainers for home (have been using them for awhile, work great at home). At home we may go straight from diapers to undies. But we will need something waterproof for daycare, when she transitions into trainers/undies there.
I have medium sewing skills and the TTT pattern, which I can totally do. I am not afraid to experiment and alter patterns. I also have a whole load of Thirsties Duo inserts, the two-layer snap-together kind, size one (so we're not using them ATM).
I would prefer to snap these into trainers as soakers rather than making a pocket, because DCP and DH will not unstuff pockets. I don't want to sew them in permanently bc I'd like to use them on later kiddos.

-would these be appropriate for pockets? Either the hemp/cotton layer or mf layer.
-has anyone used these as snap in soakers? I am assuming this will work... maybe?

wonton 02-14-2013 12:30 PM

Best bottoms makes a snap in soaker w/ training undies so I'm sure it's doable.

rebeccalynne15 02-14-2013 01:43 PM

Re: Trainers... would this make any sense?

I haven't used them that way but you could just as long as there wasn't any microfiber touching your little one ...it will pull moisture out of the skin and dry her out and give a rash .

TrennaII 02-14-2013 04:37 PM

Yep! I've been working on some fleece pull ups for daycare snapping inserts into the TTT or Katrina patterns. The free Katrina pattern goes together faster for us, and fits better. I just install snaps into the extra soaker layer before stitching it down.

DottieHarley 02-18-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrennaII
Yep! I've been working on some fleece pull ups for daycare snapping inserts into the TTT or Katrina patterns. The free Katrina pattern goes together faster for us, and fits better. I just install snaps into the extra soaker layer before stitching it down.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking! Glad to know it's doable... Now to coerce MIL into helping me make them :-)

TrennaII 02-19-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DottieHarley

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking! Glad to know it's doable... Now to coerce MIL into helping me make them :-)

Ours go fast, and on a sewing machine, applying the waist and leg bands like FOE. I'm sorry I don't have pics but... I fold the band in half, and glue stick them closed except the outer edge, then cut off any hanging out edges. Then I mark 1/4" from the edge on the body, and sandwich the body layer into the band, and pin. Then I use a very wide zig zag with the edge of the waistband in the center. This makes the band go on flat, with no chunky seam, and no serger needed.

Hambyham 02-24-2013 08:13 AM

Re: Trainers... would this make any sense?

Where is the free Katrina pattern?