Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Rumparooz bamboo or hemp question... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491475)

Babybird4 02-13-2013 01:04 PM

Rumparooz bamboo or hemp question...

Does anyone know if the bamboo or hemp inserts are any trimmer than the microfiber inserts? Are either one more absorbent than the microfiber? I don't mind microfiber but I wouldn't mind something trimmer now that I am having to stuff both inserts in my newbie's nighttime dipes.

shoebert 02-13-2013 01:13 PM

Re: Rumparooz bamboo or hemp question...

I'd call the hemp about half the thickness of the microfiber (or maybe not quite half but close). I'll post a pic if you want one.

Babybird4 02-13-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoebert (Post 16284992)
I'd call the hemp about half the thickness of the microfiber (or maybe not quite half but close). I'll post a pic if you want one.

That would be great if you have one!

shoebert 02-14-2013 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go. It's hard to tell since the hemp doesn't lay flat, but you csn sorta see.

Attachment 134188

shoebert 02-14-2013 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe this is better, the hemp is on top.

Attachment 134193

Babybird4 02-14-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoebert
Maybe this is better, the hemp is on top.

Wow, that is much trimmer. Do you think they are just as absorbent? or more absorbent? !

April, mommy to Haylea (8/18/09), Hannah (5/22/11) and baby Hogan (12/12/12) *sent from my iPhone*

Pixi6s 02-14-2013 07:52 PM

I've always stuffed my diapers with one microfiber (on top) to absorb fast, and a hemp insert behind, to hold back the pee.

Hemp inserts are generally thinner but not sure if you had a mf and hemp that absorbed the same amount if they would be THAT much thinner.

shoebert 02-14-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babybird4 (Post 16290351)
Wow, that is much trimmer. Do you think they are just as absorbent? or more absorbent? !

I'm not sure, as I haven't used the mf yet and DS isn't a heavy wetter (he's 2.5 months and still in his preemie prefolds). I'm not sure if this is a good test, but I just took both of them in the bathroom and poured water on them, I got 3+ oz before the hemp was full and about the same for the mf. But a baby wouldn't be peeing over the whole thing, right?

I keep hearing people say that hemp doesn't absorb as fast but when I pour water on the hemp insert it absorbs immediately, so it seems OK to me. The mf insert was the one that took a couple seconds before it absorbed...

ETA: I did the water test on the newborn inserts and not the one-size ones