Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Different amounts from each breast? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491559)

Purplecurlygirl 02-13-2013 04:46 PM

Different amounts from each breast?

I have been pumping for five months for my preemie. I was lucky to have a very good supply despite her early birth and a c-section - I got between 35 and 40 oz per day while she was in the hospital (4 and a half months) and I'm now getting between 25 and 30 oz per day (the last three weeks - the stress of being at home with her, I guess). I pump five times a day - shortly before she came home the inhouse lactation consultant helped me get down to a manageable schedule.

The weird thing though is that I'm getting such different amounts - my left breast used to slightly outproduce my right, but now my right will produce 3-4 oz in a session and the left will produce one, maybe one and a half. It doesn't switch up at a later pumping, and it never feels full anymore, either.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions for getting it back up to speed? I really can't pump any more frequently, unfortunately - I wish I could work it in but trying to do that while caring for a medically fragile infant made me almost quit pumping entirely. I eat oatmeal and other milk-helping foods, avoid the bad stuff, drink lots of water - it's just weird that it's so one-sided!

Nerissa 02-13-2013 05:09 PM

Re: Different amounts from each breast?

My right side always produces about twice as much as the left. I have no idea why. It has done it with all three nurslings.

shortcake2386 02-13-2013 05:14 PM

my right always produces 2-4x what the left does. (1-1.5oz on left, 2-4 on the right)

keen1981 02-13-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortcake2386
my right always produces 2-4x what the left does. (1-1.5oz on left, 2-4 on the right)

Yup! Everyone generally has a super boob. Based on which side they most comfortably nurse on. I find I favor my right side. Idk why. But I do. So it's my happy boob!

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 02-13-2013 05:21 PM

I had the same issue but it's my left that makes more milk, I can get 9 oz out of my left side and only 5 out of my right side. I had no idea why it was but I have always produced more milk on my left side.

Purplecurlygirl 02-14-2013 12:47 AM

That's so weird! Mine have always been roughly equal until lately. Glad to know I am not alone though!

keonli 02-15-2013 12:11 PM

Yep, my right has always made about an ounce more than the left. The only time the left makes more is if I let it get a bit engorged.

jaguglia930 02-17-2013 11:52 AM

me too! i normally start my feedings in the morning with the lesser producing breast, when i am with baby, to help even things out.

MiniLambMom 02-17-2013 03:02 PM

Same here. Right is the super boob!

ladybug12 02-18-2013 10:01 AM

I wish I could produce as much as you, I can only get 10 ounces a day :( I can usually get 3out of the right side and 1 out of the left . My daughter just likes the left side better, I guess!