Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The wind out my sails (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491561)

NotLad 02-13-2013 05:06 PM

The wind out my sails

My youngest is two, in every sense of the idea. The littlest thing will set him off, tantrum wise, and they are intense. (They're within "normal" parameters, but more intense than my other kids who sailed brought this age."

I know the routine is to let the tantrum run its course and go about your business. The problem is that after a tantrum, all of my energy is just drained. I'm physically and emotionally exhausted from listening to the screaming. Today, after dragging him from the grocery store and sitting in the car waiting for it to die down then trying to finish my shopping... When the cashier asked "how are you?" I nearly started crying.

If one more person tells me to "enjoy them while they are little" I'm going follow them home and scream at them until I pass out.

Any tips for surviving this phase?

jjordan 02-13-2013 06:44 PM

Re: The wind out my sails

I think that anyone who says "enjoy them while they're little" or "these are the best years of your life" or the like either (1) hasn't ever had kids, (2) forgot what it's like to have little kids, or (3) is delusional. :)

Or there might be the occasional person who got lucky and got very easy kids. But they don't realize they got lucky, and credit their amazing parenting. :rolleyes:

Take it day by day, minute by minute when you have to! Kids are challenging and you can't enjoy every minute. It is very normal to feel overwhelmed at times and to have days where the only good thing about the day is the kids' bedtime. :)

LittleThingsMama638 02-13-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjordan
I think that anyone who says "enjoy them while they're little" or "these are the best years of your life" or the like either (1) hasn't ever had kids, (2) forgot what it's like to have little kids, or (3) is delusionsal. :)

Or there might be the occasional person who got lucky and got very easy kids. But they don't realize they got lucky, and credit their amazing parenting. :rolleyes:

Take it day by day, minute by minute when you have to! Kids are challenging and you can't enjoy every minute. It is very normal to feel overwhelmed at times and to have days where the only good thing about the day is the kids' bedtime. :)

Perfect advice. Don't forget to get a break for you as well. It will help things so much more. I also learned recently that going with the flow is just so much easier. Dd throws a tantrum in the store? Sing a song to the screaming and dance along. Maybe it'll distract her but it'll keep me sane long enough to finish shopping and get home where I can hide in my room, or hide her in hers... Maybe not the best advice in the world but it certainty keeps me from ripping my hair out and crying in the moment.

jam's mum 02-13-2013 09:43 PM

Having complained bitterly about my little monster yesterday, today we made slime*, which I think acted like a stress ball for her, and did yoga. Today was better, but I'm not holding my breath.

:hugs: It would take a very strange glutton for punishment to enjoy being screamed at by another person, from whom you're not allowed to walk away, several times a day.

* equal parts clear Elmer's glue and liquid starch + a food drops of food colouring, mixed vigorously, with hands, for several minutes. I'm playing with some right now!

qsefthuko 02-13-2013 10:37 PM

I had one of those wonderful, easy kids the first time. Her tantrums were easily short circuited(or perhaps disguised). All I had to do to get her to behave in the store was to tell her she could most certainly do a better job having a fit than she was currently doing. Then instead of having a screaming tantrum she would pinch her lips together, and cross her arms and legs. Then she would absolutely refuse to scream just to spite me. No one knew she was actually having a tantrum.

Each successive child has become more difficult. Lord knows If we had been able to have the dozen kids I have always wanted my youngest would be a holy terror. The devil in disguise.

anne_josh 02-14-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotLad (Post 16285978)
If one more person tells me to "enjoy them while they are little" I'm going follow them home and scream at them until I pass out.

Any tips for surviving this phase?

oh god yes! Anyone who has even the slightest criticism of you for telling the truth about how difficult toddlers can be has either never had one or it's been so long they've forgotten. Or they just got an easy one by some fluke of nature.. I like to think 'pay now or pay later' applies and their easy toddler will be a hellion teenager.

It IS hard. I have a super active, curious, agile, fast and STRONG toddler. And he does not do patience well. Sometimes by the end of the day I feel like all I've done is prove Darwin wrong. This too shall pass, and admitting that this is not your favorite age does not mean you love him any less. I would walk in front of a train for either of my kids in a second, but the fact remains that they both were/are like howler monkeys on crack as toddlers and the farther we get from that stage the better.