Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   My 13 mo old is crazy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491585)

ljeanbeans 02-13-2013 07:46 PM

My 13 mo old is crazy

So, I'm his baba, his blanky. If he's just a little upset he whines if I don't pick him up and whines some more if I don't let him lunge over. Loudly and even cries. If he's really upset he doesn't always want to nurse. And the way he's been eating the past couple days I wouldn't feel comfortable doing in front of anybody. Hands in my shirt, kick me in the face, bounce around, fingers in my mouth and then rub my face. If I hold onto his foot he tries to wrestle free and then pulls my hair. Really, that's probably the crux of my disheveled mood..the past couple days.
He did this right after eating about 8 ounces of food. Guess I'll just have to be more in control with him and not so gentle.

qsefthuko 02-13-2013 08:01 PM

Re: My 13 mo old is crazy

My kiddos have all done the same at that age. My youngest has a thing for my hair thoguh. He absolutely must be holding onto it to go to sleep or even nurse. If he gets hurt and I pick him up to comfort him his hands go instantly to my hair. When he gets a bit too rough I make him stop nursing. It has taken a bit but he has now calmed down some.

tibeca 02-13-2013 08:15 PM

Nursing manners. You don't have to be a martyr to keep going!

ljeanbeans 02-13-2013 08:19 PM

It's really good to know that isn't weird. He's such a monkey, I feel like I'm being wrestled. If I need to, I set him on the floor and sometimes he just goes onto playing. A couple weeks ago he was doze nursing for hour long stints again, and he grew out of some pajamas since. That doze nursing...he's kinda asleep but very responsive to my every movement and won't let me move without getting very upset. He wants to nurse! My goal was 12 months, and that's obviously not happening.

ljeanbeans 02-13-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca (Post 16286454)
Nursing manners. You don't have to be a martyr to keep going!

Yes, exactly. Falls under the discipline category. Such a strong boy, I have. Solid.

birdinhand 02-13-2013 11:04 PM

Toddler acrobats. Yes, nursing with a foot in your face and/or mouth is normal for a kid to try, not normal for you (general you) to have to put up with :). Many moms find if they ask nicely and baby doesn't cooperate, it may be more about having fun than it is about eating food. Often a mom will remove the baby from her, put the baby on the floor and go do something else for a few minutes. Sometimes your toddler will move onto something else because hunger and comfort weren't the issue; other times they will continue to cry because they do want to eat. The point is to not stand there and witness the fall-out, like hey kid, I have other things I could be doing besides dealing with your tantrum and nursing you with your bad manners. So go empty the dishwasher or change the laundry, and come back to see what you find. If he still wants to nurse, try again, with the same precise response when something happens that you don't like.

For what it's worth, this is the same thing that can be done if you have a biter. Most babies will get it pretty quickly if it is handled the same every time.

I found for my active ones who like to pull hair or twiddle the other nipple, a Hot Wheels in their hand staved off a lot of that behavior.

painter412 02-16-2013 11:02 PM

ponytails worked for me and with my oldest i actually cut my hair.

ljeanbeans 02-17-2013 02:31 AM

Yeah, I've been wearing my hair back in various forms of the ponytail for ages. He stopped tearing my short hair at 8 months or so. Might be mostly cuz I'm a single mom and he's just happy to finally get my attention. Tends to act up when I do chores, etc. Today he was pretty good. Been better at just gently putting him aside and ignoring. He did pause to talk to my boob again. Is that weird?

Did I say I like this yet
Quote:

a Hot Wheels in their hand staved off a lot of that behavior.
Well, it's great.

birdinhand 02-17-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljeanbeans (Post 16298344)
Yeah, I've been wearing my hair back in various forms of the ponytail for ages. He stopped tearing my short hair at 8 months or so. Might be mostly cuz I'm a single mom and he's just happy to finally get my attention. Tends to act up when I do chores, etc. Today he was pretty good. Been better at just gently putting him aside and ignoring. He did pause to talk to my boob again. Is that weird?

Did I say I like this yet Well, it's great.

Sometimes it can kind of feel like a massage, lol.