Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homesteading (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Compost toilet...humanure?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491606)

aumismommy 02-13-2013 08:52 PM

Compost toilet...humanure??

Anybody have this going on their property?

daddyn4wisechix 02-14-2013 09:23 AM

Re: Compost toilet...humanure??

:popcorn:

aumismommy 02-14-2013 11:10 AM

We are looking at doing the waterless self contained since we wont have a basement

http://www.envirolet.com/models.html

MotherMoonPads 02-14-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aumismommy (Post 16288574)
We are looking at doing the waterless self contained since we wont have a basement

http://www.envirolet.com/models.html

I do believe this is what we are looking at as well. We are still in the very beginning planning stages though. DH is very excited about the composting toilet though! :giggle:

percussionsmith 02-14-2013 01:11 PM

We did for about 5 years. I believe we used a Sun unit. It was very tall and made a lot of our guests uncomfortable as well as our newly toileting child. It's very disgusting to clean out and should be done very thoroughly on a very regular basis or bugs will indeed invade. We used the premix for some time but ended up having better luck with the bedding purchased from Tractor Supply Co. and an enzyme. It did not compost in the unit. We had to empty it into our wheel barrow and take it to a safe location near the woods for it to compost thoroughly. We would rotate the mounds and after about a year I would put it on my bulb gardens. We don't eat meat, which I think had some impact on our anticipated results.
The unit did not stink except during menstruation or illness. It was somewhat loud, but when we closed the door it was unnoticeable.
A couple different friends of ours have underground composting systems that were built into their houses. All of the issues we had with ours, they have not had. We didn't have the option, but if we had, I would say underground units are very much the way to go. Even with all if that said, I liked it. It wasn't difficult and once on a system and once everyone is used to it, composting human waste didn't seem like big deal. I wouldn't say we enjoyed it, but we didn't dislike it either.

I will add, when I was in my 20's I composted my own from a simple bucket and hole system I came up with on my own. We've done grey water systems and I now hand wash all my clothes (yes, they all feel like the same "crap" to me). So if I can help in any way, feel free to message me.
Good luck!

percussionsmith 02-14-2013 01:15 PM

I missed your link...the waterless self contained is what we had. Different brand and bigger though.

Eta: I think this is the one we had:
http://www.sun-mar.com/prod_self_exce.html

aumismommy 02-14-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by percussionsmith (Post 16289139)
I missed your link...the waterless self contained is what we had. Different brand and bigger though.

Eta: I think this is the one we had:
http://www.sun-mar.com/prod_self_exce.html

What do you think the issue is between the self contained versus the underground system? It's just further away so you don't notice the process? Like smell, noise etc? The envirolet brand has a pretty pricey version that doesn't have to be below can just be on the other side of the wall...we were just liking the price of the self contained version. My concerns are bugs, smell, and disgusting-ness factor of cleaning it.

percussionsmith 02-14-2013 10:16 PM

This may seem strange, but I think the issue may be temperature, natural bacteria and pressure. The folks we know have the type that are not within the house but literally deep below, more like an outhouse with a nice surface ( and ventilation, enzyme, rotation systems). I've seen similar ones at a few nice parks, but I don't know much about them.
Price was a big factor for us, too. Especially when considering what you'll be doing with this thing! We looked at the ones that went 1/2 outside, but were living in a historic school house and didn't want to intrude on the structure any further. The noise came from the fan that blew the moisture and smell out a vent pipe. We could turn ours off. Also, this was 4-5 years ago and from a different company, so it may be different with what your looking at.
The disgustingness comes from the urine depositing minerals that calcify. They harden in the bottom, on the screen and on the grooves on the barrel (ours had a crank that rotated the barrel). The fecal matter would stick to the calcified urine. So even when you empty the drawer thoroughly, there's more in there to deal with. I think every three emptyings we would very deep clean it (take it apart, hose, vinegar, the works).
The bugs were fruit flies. Part of our issue was how old the house was. There were all manner of bugs in that schoolhouse! We didn't have A/C either, so windows and doors were often open.
I hope that helps! I'm not trying to make it sound horrible or scare you our of it. Really, it all wasn't that big if a deal and I'd like to return to it in the future.

aumismommy 02-19-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by percussionsmith
This may seem strange, but I think the issue may be temperature, natural bacteria and pressure. The folks we know have the type that are not within the house but literally deep below, more like an outhouse with a nice surface ( and ventilation, enzyme, rotation systems). I've seen similar ones at a few nice parks, but I don't know much about them.
Price was a big factor for us, too. Especially when considering what you'll be doing with this thing! We looked at the ones that went 1/2 outside, but were living in a historic school house and didn't want to intrude on the structure any further. The noise came from the fan that blew the moisture and smell out a vent pipe. We could turn ours off. Also, this was 4-5 years ago and from a different company, so it may be different with what your looking at.
The disgustingness comes from the urine depositing minerals that calcify. They harden in the bottom, on the screen and on the grooves on the barrel (ours had a crank that rotated the barrel). The fecal matter would stick to the calcified urine. So even when you empty the drawer thoroughly, there's more in there to deal with. I think every three emptyings we would very deep clean it (take it apart, hose, vinegar, the works).
The bugs were fruit flies. Part of our issue was how old the house was. There were all manner of bugs in that schoolhouse! We didn't have A/C either, so windows and doors were often open.
I hope that helps! I'm not trying to make it sound horrible or scare you our of it. Really, it all wasn't that big if a deal and I'd like to return to it in the future.

Thank you so very much. That didn't sound horrible ;) I wasn't expecting the four seasons spa bathroom - dh and I are really fine with whatever but we have ds who is 2.5 and a little one so we need to make sure its something they can and will use and that it's not disgusting ;)
Plan for now is to move in with my parents while our house is on the market - our realtor expects it to go fairly quickly with how we are pricing it..use the profit to be our down payment on our lad and buy a yurt to live in for a year instead of scrambling to build our cob house this summer. This way we can live on our new property and see where we want to build, get te garden going, get the chickens area working etc. yay!

MotherMoonPads 02-19-2013 02:02 PM

How far up in NorCal are you? My hubby and I were considering land in Hornbrook (which is right on the border, about 20 min north of Yreka). We are in S. Oregon now.