Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Pack n play instead of crib (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491618)

OatmealKisses 02-13-2013 09:54 PM

Pack n play instead of crib

My MIL thinks I'm damaging my daughter's back and mobility by not having her in a crib. She is 5 months and sleeping in a pack n play next to our bed. The pack n play had a extra mattress on it.

Is there anything *wrong* with using a pack n play instead of a crib at any age full time? I was going to just keep using this instead of anyone buying a crib. The room she will be moved into is small and I like the idea of being able to take her bed with her anywhere we go.

I feel like I'm :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: with her about this issue, or lack of issue.

7 for now 02-13-2013 10:15 PM

I used a pack and play full time for my now 7yo. My now 10 yo had the crib at the time. My little guy now is in the pack and play in my room as my 18 month old is in the real crib. No harm was done to my 7 year old. It made travel easier as when we took it that is what she was used to sleeping in and was not strange for her.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

karena02 02-13-2013 10:21 PM

Re: Pack n play instead of crib

My DS was in my Arm's Reach Cosleeper in various forms, including the PnP setting, until 17 months when we switched him to a twin bed. I liked that anytime there was a change (travel, new bedroom, new house) he was always in the same bed. And he's fine - chiro says his back is great, LOL.

Now, my 9 month DD is in the same cosleeper in the PnP set up. She's fine in there too.

addicteddad 02-13-2013 10:40 PM

We used an Arm's Reach Co-sleeper when DS was first home, we eventually ended up bed-sharing. We opted for the AR because it had higher weight limits than any pack n play we could find, and the supports across the bottom seemed sturdier and flatter than most pack n plays as well.

mekat 02-13-2013 11:40 PM

Those hard cardboard mattresses made my son's reflux much worse when he was a baby. I'm not sure why and I don't even know if it holds true for all babies with reflux. I can only say it was true for my son and that I have heard similar accounts from other moms with refluxing kiddos. Other then the above there weren't any problems. I think Grandma just wants the best for her grand baby and is using a bit of hyperbole to get you to buy "a more comfortable" sleeping arrangement in her eyes.

AniMommy 02-13-2013 11:49 PM

Smile and nod. ;)

anne_josh 02-14-2013 12:40 AM

MIL's get some interesting ideas. I guess all the babies who slept in a laundry basket or dresser drawer have terrible back problems? ;)

BigSamsMom 02-14-2013 01:02 AM

We own every possible sleeping arrangement for a child, and here's how it broke down for my 3.5 year DS1, as to where he slept/sleeps:

Bassinet - 1-2 months of use (NB-2 months)
Swing - 2 months of use (8 weeks while suffering from RSV at 3 months old)
Full Size Crib - 10-11 months of use (4-5 months old to 15 months old, only at night)
Pack N Play - 2+ years of use (NB to 2+ years old, napping during the day)
His "Big Boy" Bed - 2+ years of use ( 15 months - 3.5 years old)
Our Bed - 3.5 years (every night birth to 4-5 months, and once or twice a week since)

When pregnant with DS1, I swore my child would never share a bed with me. All that changed when we got him home and I was breastfeeding. Co-sleeping was so much easier on all of us. Overall the full size crib was used the least, excluding our swing and bassinet. I honestly tell new moms they can do without a crib if they buy a Pack N Play, since I've BTDT. Right now DS2 is 9 weeks old, and I haven't even bothered to put sheets on his full size crib yet, because I know we are months away from using it. I don't put my kiddos in their crib until they can sleep through the night, then they start crawling out of it around a year old, which makes it useless, unless it converts to a toddler bed (ours didn't). It took DS1 much longer the learn how to crawl out of his Pack N Play. If you are worried about the PNP not being supportive enough, buy a twin size memory foam or egg crate mattress topper and cut it to fit. If you are worried about reflux, there is a crib wedge that fits both a full size crib and Pack N Play. Of course we live in a two story house and I breastfeed, so that plays into how we did things too. Our crib was in the nursery upstairs, whereas our Pack N Play was downstairs. I still think you can ditch the crib altogether though, no matter what your arrangements are.

foggierbard9 02-14-2013 04:25 AM

Our DS slept in a crib and went to a pack n play at 18 months until he was 2yrs old because we had moved and didn't want to put the crib back together. Our DD1 slept in a crib and then we moved again and movers broke it so she went to a mattress on the floor at 14 months old. Our youngest is 8 months old and she has been in our bed or the pack n play since birth.

junvwekt 02-14-2013 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSamsMom (Post 16287309)
If you are worried about the PNP not being supportive enough, buy a twin size memory foam or egg crate mattress topper and cut it to fit.

Great idea!! :) The only really "bad" thing people say about the Pack n Plays is that the bottom isn't very soft/supportive. Why don't more people think of this!? :p

((I'm trying to keep my "baby accessories" to a minimum because I don't have room in a 1/br apartment for much... :D Babies R Us sure tries to sell a lot of "stuff" to first time moms. Lol.))