Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   newborn hates being worn? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491738)

epaashaus 02-14-2013 12:28 PM

newborn hates being worn?

I have been trying to wear my newborn for about 2 weeks now (shes 2 weeks old) and she seems to hate it. I've tried my moby, mei tai, and pouch sling. i have tried them indoors and outdoors, different days, after nursing her, when she is asleep, when she is fussy and awake, etc. My older daughter LOVED and needed to be worn almost all the time but this one doesn't seem into it. she cries and grunts and squirms. She wants to be held in our arms but not the carriers. she sleeps really well in her carseat and moses basket and doesn't seem to like her swaddle. is it possible some babies just don't like to be squished? i thought ALL babies at the newborn age liked to be crunched up and held tight. i need to be able to wear her to i can have free hands to take care of my 2 1/5 year old!

The Fancy Pansy 02-14-2013 12:35 PM

Re: newborn hates being worn?

It's totally normal for some kids to prefer not to be constricted!

Pixi6s 02-14-2013 02:39 PM

I would keep trying, she may grow out of it :)

monkeybunns 02-16-2013 02:50 AM

My first son hated it for the first 5-6 weeks but really bad the first 3-4. I had a pouch and no matter what he hated it. Do you have a local Babywearing group? Maybe they could help you hands on or perhaps lend you a ring sling if you don't have one-they're my favorite with newborns (way better than a pouch in my personal opinion but I'm not a big pouch fan). I just helped a mama with a 2 week old in one and I really feel like ring slings are an easy way to replicate the exact way you hold them in your arms when they're newborns. Make sure to keep the carrier tight and keep baby kissable-the newborn I helped in my group was up close to the bottom of her mama's cheek so it was very easy to kiss the top of her head.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum-sometimes my iPod thinks it's a better speller than me...

BigSamsMom 02-16-2013 03:46 AM

I am with you Momma, 9 week old DS2 hates being worn too. I blame that for the fact that we spent the first 5-6 weeks of his life "living" in the recliner, with him stretched out on the Boppy nursing. Try to froggy his legs and he freaks! He also hated being swaddled after the first week. Don't lose hope though, I just tried him last week in the sling and Beco, and he tolerated it better than he ever has, I actually think he is going to like the Beco once he can see out of it and face forward. Some babes, I think need to grow into being worn. Just like you my DS1 loved being worn. In the meantime, get your hands on a swing, bouncer, or a Leachco Podster. That is where DS2 prefers to be when not in our arms. He lives in his snugabunny swing.

crunchymamaNY 02-16-2013 06:44 AM

Give baby wearing a rest for a couple days or a week, then try again :) Some babies just don't like to be consitricted, while others really want it. Just give it some time.

ltlmrs 02-16-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSamsMom (Post 16295166)
I am with you Momma, 9 week old DS2 hates being worn too. I blame that for the fact that we spent the first 5-6 weeks of his life "living" in the recliner, with him stretched out on the Boppy nursing. Try to froggy his legs and he freaks! He also hated being swaddled after the first week. Don't lose hope though, I just tried him last week in the sling and Beco, and he tolerated it better than he ever has, I actually think he is going to like the Beco once he can see out of it and face forward. Some babes, I think need to grow into being worn. Just like you my DS1 loved being worn. In the meantime, get your hands on a swing, bouncer, or a Leachco Podster. That is where DS2 prefers to be when not in our arms. He lives in his snugabunny swing.

Not to derail the thread, but BigSamsMom, :highfive: Congrats on the newbie!

epaashaus 02-16-2013 07:23 AM

problem solved! apparently my husband is the baby whisperer. He put DD2 in the mei tai yesterday and she liked it. I then wore her for at least an hour and a half nap and have her on again today! i guess it just took multiple attempts before she realized how comfy it was.

Sarah-B 02-16-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixi6s
I would keep trying, she may grow out of it :)

This

MiniLambMom 02-16-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epaashaus
problem solved! apparently my husband is the baby whisperer. He put DD2 in the mei tai yesterday and she liked it. I then wore her for at least an hour and a half nap and have her on again today! i guess it just took multiple attempts before she realized how comfy it was.

Good job, dad!