Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Homeschool check in Feb 14th-28th (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491785)

R055ANA 02-14-2013 03:04 PM

Homeschool check in Feb 14th-28th

Hello there wonderful HSing families,

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences for the rest of the month.

Wishing you all of you a wonderful and educational time w/ your children!

R055ANA 02-14-2013 03:19 PM

Re: Homeschool check in Feb 14th-28th

Since I started the thread I will comment 1st : )

3boysmom, I am sorry things are SO tough for you. I really hope things get better. Sometimes things are really rough and then they get better.

Heather, I am thrilled that your DS is doing so well w/ reading each day.

PS got out early today so the neighbor came to knock for my DDs. They got to play for a little while. The weather is nice out as well so they were outside briefly and the nice weather also encourages the neighbor to come play w/ them.

My youngest DD has been searching for QR codes. Those are the codes you see everywhere than you can scan w/ your cell phone to pull up a web page. We don't own smart phones but my DH taught my DDs about them and every time my YDD sees one she lets dad know. She found one in the newspaper but I didn't let her cut it out since I didn't get to read it yet.

I was at the library the other day and I took out some DVDs for my DD. One of the ones I got was Little House on the Prairie, this is a more modern version. I was telling my girls I watched and read the series when I was growing up. We watched the original theme song on youtube and I may get some of the books from the library next time we go.

As we speak my ODD is writing in her journal. It's one of those small notebooks and she enjoys writing about her days especially if she gets to do something special (like going out).

The older 2 DDs are doing a literature circle and the chosen book was Johnny Tremain. They are supposed to some project on that time period for Monday so we have to start working on that. The girls don't really know what they want to do for the project yet.

This Saturday we are going to a math salon. The woman hosting it is looking to start a math circle in the fall. From what I heard of math circles so far I really like how they explore math. It is about exploring it all together and posing questions as a group rather than having the expert dish out all the rules and then giving out examples.

There is more to say but for now I am going to end it here.

Art mama 02-15-2013 09:10 PM

I'm horrible with schedules :(. I bought a lesson planner and my goal is to plan AND complete all if next week! Wish me luck!

Art mama 02-15-2013 09:14 PM

I'll be back later to read everyone's comments and try to get to know you guys! I've been so busy I don't know if I'm coming or going anymore :(

HeatherlovesCDs 02-16-2013 07:07 AM

RO55ANA - What is a math circle? That sounds like fun since my kids love math. Thanks for the encouragement with my son. I know you've been around for all my frustrated posts with him. I'm SO thrilled with his forward progress and sudden desire to actually read. He read 4 pages of his book yesterday to his grandparents! Such a change of attitude. It still takes him a while because he is still slow but the point is, he doesn't mind the hard work. He wants to do it! It is wonderful!! :bliss:

AFU - We closed on that house yesterday! So crazy that it went through. Totally all God. There were at least 10 people and 5 different agencies/companies that all had to come through very quickly, much faster than typical, for this to go through. (Both Realtors , our lender, the processor, underwriter, a credit agency to clear up a recent refi that wasn't on our credit yet, the mortgage bank for that refi loan, the title company, the buyer, us, the short sale bank which is no small feat getting a bank to move fast, the home inspector, termite inspector, and the appraiser. Okay...it was more than 10. :giggle:) Everyone is absolutely amazed that this actually happened. We even got the prorated rent from February which we really didn't expect to ever see! We walked away from the table with our first income from this rental. I have a few more gray hairs, I'm sure. But, God is blessing us and we are thrilled. :yay:

As for schooling, which is what this thread is really about ;), we are going to try to get some in today, but if not, we'll be back on track on Monday. I'm stressing about school because we have basically taken 2wks off. The kids have been doing Reading Eggs, but not much else. We need to get going again. I'm ready to be moving on and out of first. Jen- I'm really looking forward to day 120. We are on or about Day 92. :)

Jen's_4 02-16-2013 07:43 AM

School has been scarce here. Thursday we cleaned house all day, so no school. Yesterday we took Kennah to St. Louis (3 hours drive each way) for the appointment with her neuro, they ended up doing and EEG so it took all day. Pleminarily at least, things look good. They haven't officially read the EEG yet to look for more minor findings but we should know more next week. As of right now, they think her little episodes may be her way of checking out, since she has sensory issues and she may just do that when things get to be too much.

Today we're just taking a break. Even though we've not been doing school it seems like we've been doing a lot and I think we need the day to regroup. Which kind of stinks in a way, because Monday I will be keeping my nephew so we won't get as much school done then either. I do think when we start back up on Tuesday we may start easing back into our curriculum. We'll see.

foggierbard9 02-16-2013 10:57 AM

I was going to do school with DS today to make up for the skipped day last week, but we went to 3 stores grocery shopping and I am just wiped out. DD has not been sleeping well at all, she does 3 hours of awake play time in the middle of the night that is just exhausting me.

FormallyMichele 02-16-2013 02:07 PM

My planner from amazon should be here today!

I'm looking into The Farm theme for next month and found some awesome information on cheese making! Thinking goat cheese and mozzarella. I'm going to have to order rennet to prepare.

To finish up this months ocean theme we will make a trip to the aquarium. Is my DDs birthday so it works out great!

lyn1270 02-17-2013 01:04 PM

this week went really well w/HSing. sometimes it's just like that...smooth as butter LOL. next week we don't have Classical Conversations, so it will be school at home all week. I've decided to lay off the spelling curriculum for a bit w/DS1. I really just don't think it's clicking. He reads beautifully. He's just not getting the connection for whatever reason. I am going to make him write a selection of words a few times every day. But that's also for his handwriting. DS2 has started expressing an interest in reading. He frequently asks what a word is and then practices it to himself....he's so shy :giggle: I'm saving up over the next month so I can get Reading Eggs for him. He seemed to really enjoy it. Other than that, I might give 100 Easy Lessons a swing again. DS1 hated it, but he and DS2 are 2 different beasts :)

lyn1270 02-17-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpendergraff (Post 16296581)
My planner from amazon should be here today!

I'm looking into The Farm theme for next month and found some awesome information on cheese making! Thinking goat cheese and mozzarella. I'm going to have to order rennet to prepare.

To finish up this months ocean theme we will make a trip to the aquarium. Is my DDs birthday so it works out great!

you could make butter too!! uber easy!! all you need is cream, a jar, and a marble and you are set! My boys LOVED it! and we made fresh bread to go w/it so we ate homemade bread & butter...yummo :thumbsup: