Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Things people say where you live..... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1491844)

booty hunter 02-14-2013 09:09 PM

Things people say where you live.....

We were talking about this at dinner and it is really funny the things we hear over and over again when we are out. We live in Texas so I swear I can't go anywhere with out hearing "I am going to beat your butt" but there is an art to this saying because the level of violence is so astounding there is no way they can be serious. For example the first time it is "quit or I am going to beat your butt,then it is" I said stop or I am going to beat your butt so bad you won't be able to sit for a week",followed by " I am going to beat your butt so hard until your Father comes home and then he is going to beat your butt". And the more severe the behavior the more family members are brought into the supposed violence.But of course the best part is by check out time at the grocery store said deviant is being asked what candy bar he wants and a discussion of what he wants from McDonalds for lunch.:giggle2: I am from the midwest and it was quite disturbing because we don't say things like that but I hear it at schools,offices,stores. It wasn't until I asked a good friend about it and she said "oh that ,it is just something people say but no one means it" . Also the greatest compliment for a boy around here is "That boy is going to be a football player" and of course for the girls it's "She is pretty enough to be a cheer leader".
Growing up in the midwest we used to say "Talk at you later" and " He is on the sauce again or so and so fell off the wagon" both of which dh didn't understand.
What are some of the local sayings where you live?

jam's mum 02-14-2013 09:19 PM

Re: Things people say where you live.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdhutier (Post 16290490)
We were talking about this at dinner and it is really funny the things we hear over and over again when we are out. We live in Texas so I swear I can't go anywhere with out hearing "I am going to beat your butt" but there is an art to this saying because the level of violence is so astounding there is no way they can be serious. For example the first time it is "quit or I am going to beat your butt,then it is" I said stop or I am going to beat your butt so bad you won't be able to sit for a week",followed by " I am going to beat your butt so hard until your Father comes home and then he is going to beat your butt". And the more severe the behavior the more family members are brought into the supposed violence.But of course the best part is by check out time at the grocery store said deviant is being asked what candy bar he wants and a discussion of what he wants from McDonalds for lunch.:giggle2: I am from the midwest and it was quite disturbing because we don't say things like that but I hear it at schools,offices,stores. It wasn't until I asked a good friend about it and she said "oh that ,it is just something people say but no one means it" . Also the greatest compliment for a boy around here is "That boy is going to be a football player" and of course for the girls it's "She is pretty enough to be a cheer leader".
Growing up in the midwest we used to say "Talk at you later" and " He is on the sauce again or so and so fell off the wagon" both of which dh didn't understand.
What are some of the local sayings where you live?

hahahahaha. I love those.

I haven't noticed any specific things in Chicago - apart from unfailing politeness and goodwill, which still, even now, disorients me. It makes me want to unleash a string of profanities just to even the social balance :laugh:.

tallanvor 02-14-2013 09:23 PM

I've lived in too many places to sort them all out. I honestly couldn't tell you what phrase is from what place.

Rewind_Selector 02-14-2013 09:23 PM

I have heard "I'm gonna box your ears." For a long time I thought it meant putting boxes on somebodies ears and I couldn't understand why or how someone could do that. I moved from MI to FL so I know I have heard more.

Brandy1010 02-14-2013 09:27 PM

I am from the south and I guess if you arent from here, the beat your butt thing sounds super disturbing. Which it does when you think about it. But, we knkw when we hear someone saying it, they just want their kid to staighten up... Pretty much telling their kida, mama dont like it! Now, if you hear "john alexandar smith, dont make me leave this store!" You and everyone in a mile radius KNOWS mama aint playin! Lol Most people that I know that say that, NEVER lay a hand on their kid though. So it is just a "saying"...

booty hunter 02-14-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rewind_Selector (Post 16290552)
I have heard "I'm gonna box your ears." For a long time I thought it meant putting boxes on somebodies ears and I couldn't understand why or how someone could do that. I moved from MI to FL so I know I have heard more.

I have never heard that. How funny and slightly terrifying.

booty hunter 02-14-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandy1010 (Post 16290569)
I am from the south and I guess if you arent from here, the beat your butt thing sounds super disturbing. Which it does when you think about it. But, we knkw when we hear someone saying it, they just want their kid to staighten up... Pretty much telling their kida, mama dont like it! Now, if you hear "john alexandar smith, dont make me leave this store!" You and everyone in a mile radius KNOWS mama aint playin! Lol Most people that I know that say that, NEVER lay a hand on their kid though. So it is just a "saying"...

:

Oh my gosh yes,I forgot about that one! Don't make me leave this store is instant death. But the really funny part is they go out in the parking lot to the car and spank them.But as they are doing it they are waving to friends and talking on the phone.Like it is the most normal thing ever. I don't really understand the point of leaving if you are just going to do it in front of everyone.:giggle2:I feel the need to do a disclaimer I am talking about swatting a butt not physical abuse,we don't spank but I also recognize that others can do it in a non abusive way, It is just a totally different world around here. In the midwest if you even threatened something that like that someone would call dcfs.

newmommy13 02-14-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jam's mum

I haven't noticed any specific things in Chicago - apart from unfailing politeness and goodwill, which still, even now, disorients me. It makes me want to unleash a string of profanities just to even the social balance :laugh:.

Seriously?!? Wow where do you come from? The city seems so cold and unwelcoming to me but i grew up in NE wisconsin in a teensy town population 2500. No stoplights in the entire county. Everyone was cousins somehow and everyone waved when a car drove by without even looking up to see if they knew who it was.

I was a transplant and there were some odd things i didnt understand as a kid. Your aunt was not pronounced like the bug but like ohn-t or awn-t. In SE WI its like the bug. Also after sentences people add something that is pronounced like en-so. Its said after a statement that deserves agreement such as "boy those packers played great on sunday en-so!" Or "its nice we only got one foot of snow this week en-so!"

Also there is something called booyah there and you dont exclaim it, you eat it. Macaroni in chili is a hotly debated subject.

booty hunter 02-14-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jam's mum (Post 16290529)

I grew up right outside of Chicago but I think Texas and New Mexico have the nicest people. But that may be because it stays warm enough to see people all year long. Maybe they are really nice but we are stuck in a snow bank for so long I forget how great they are until it thaws.:giggle2:

KaleidoscopeEyes 02-14-2013 09:38 PM

Youins going to go to the store