Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Is this punishment enough? UPDATE 111 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492016)

kimb96 02-15-2013 02:49 PM

Is this punishment enough? UPDATE 111

Ds signed my initials in his school planner. Parents are supposed to sign it every day and the kids lose character counters if it isn't signed. (Character counters are given out at the beginning of the week. The kids can lose them for poor behavior or earn more for exceptional behavior. They must have at least 5 at the end of the week to attend the vacation party on Friday. Usually a short video and pop corn.) He didn't bring home his planner yesterday so I didn't sign it. I checked it today and low and behold there are my initials in Thursday's spot. He is writing 100 sentences right now and he lost his sleepover for tonight at his friend's house. I'm also going to email or write the teacher a note so that he will lose the appropriate character counters next week. This is the icing on the cake out of a string of lies this child has told recently. He lies about stupid stuff, like brushing his teeth or telling me there was no mail when he forgot to check so he won't have to go back out to check. I've had it. He is whining and crying about how I ruined his evening. I am steaming. I'm about to tell him to get in his room and lock the door, that this would be a good time to hide from me :banghead:

chello 02-15-2013 02:59 PM

Re: Is this punishment enough?

How old is he? If he's responding to it I'd say it's good punishment.

Tris 02-15-2013 03:00 PM

How old is he? Is this a first time offense or an ongoing thing?( not white lies, but forgery) Honestly all of that sounds harsh, the crime doesn't really fit the punishment.

Fashionably Green Baby 02-15-2013 03:03 PM

I don't know. It may be a bit harsh BUT I have a child who is sneaky and also has been lying (also about stupid stuff) and I am at my wits end too so I might do the same. How old is he?

keen1981 02-15-2013 03:04 PM

depending on age... i think its too much. and my dad was super strict and i am tough on my kids. i usually pick one punishm ent. not 3

Nickel+3 02-15-2013 03:05 PM

I probably wouldn't punish for that. I'd convey to my kid that it was wrong to be sneaky and if he ever forgets his binder again, to just let you know that he signed your initials for you.

mamatoclaire 02-15-2013 03:11 PM

I think you've made you're point. He lied and forged your initials to get a reward he didn't earn. He will lose that next week, and doesn't get to go have fun tonight. I don't know if I'd have done the writing lines thing, but I don't think you've been excessive. Just try not to lose your cool. Hugs mama, hopefully he'll get the point that lying is not ok.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Mom2Connor 02-15-2013 03:13 PM

His age would effect my response but I doubt I would have canceled the sleepover. Sentence writing never seemed effective to me, but I would have a talk with him and arrange to lose his points for that week for sure. All of them if possible. He basically lied to get more points so I don't think losing all of them would be out of line so he doesn't try to cheat to get extra points next time.

Tris 02-15-2013 03:15 PM

Does he only get points for bringing it home or does he earn points and you just have to initial that you've seen them? I'm a bit confused on the point thing.

nicolemariep 02-15-2013 03:15 PM

I may be the odd one out here, but I don't think it's excessive at all. Lying is about the most serious offense in our home, and we take it super seriously.

With that said, I feel the punishment is probably enough to make an impact on him.