Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Help me help dd...ty (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492059)

suthrnmomto3 02-15-2013 03:42 PM

Help me help dd...ty

I've got a problem maybe you ladies can help me. Ok here goes...
My dd has c. Diff, is allergic to milk, soy, rice, and grains...gluten free needs here...(this all so far we are waiting on other test results...)...
Soooo ladies...I need:
1. A birthday cake idea for her 1st birthday she'll be 1 on February 27 this year.
2. Any food she can eat or drink...she's going to have to come off formula soon and has been eating alimentum formula.

Can ou ladies help? None of other babies have had these problems...so thrifty ideas and good tasting would be great. Need meal and snack ideas please...thank you!

jbug_4 02-15-2013 06:02 PM

Re: Help me help dd...ty

Check out Bob's Red Mill gluten free cake mixes. From first glance looks like it would fit you needs. namaste mixes are good but they use rice flour. We do fruit sorbet for ice cream. Just have to check and make sure its one that is just fruit, sugar and water.

As far as regular food. The best bet is to keep it simple. Simple foods in closest to natural form. When you get into subs things can get really crazy and expensive. If you guys eat rice a lot try making rice cauliflower. meals- a meat, a veggie and starch (sweet potatoes, regular potatoes Fruits and veggies are always great snacks. My dd just out grew her coconut allergy so i am not familiar with coconut yogurt but that might be something you want to look into for snacks. My dd almost always eats fruit or veggie for snacks. She eats regular yogurt- she can tolerate yogurt and baked in milk, but no other forms (we moved to baked in just this year, before she couldn't do that either).

When you say grains do you mean all grains or just wheat grains? Are things like buckwheat, millet, and quinoa out?

suthrnmomto3 02-15-2013 07:18 PM

As far as grains Dr just said grains. What she eats now is Ritz crackers, Gerber puffs, baby oatmeal in every bottle for reflux...so I dunno what kind those have in common. I'm new to all the food allergies...I wasn't sure what to ask. We live Ian very small area so I'm thinking things for her will be high if I can find them at all...

jbug_4 02-15-2013 08:30 PM

Ritz and the puffs both have wheat (definitely gluten). Oatmeal depending on the kind could have gluten. So if the issue is gluten then oatmeal would be ok as long as you are making sure it is a gluten free brand. No of course there is the possibility of an oat allergy so you need clarification. Call and ask specifically if its wheat or gluten. And ask for clarification on the generic "grains" . Buckwheat is technically not a grain at all, it is wheat and gluten free. millet and quinoa are wheat and gluten free also. Quinoa can be used in all kinds of things. buckwheat and millet both make good flours to use in place of regular flour. A lot of gluten free mixes rely on rice flour. So be prepared to make a lot of stuff from scratch if you want "processed" type foods. Honestly though while that stuff is not hard its time consuming. A lot of people just end up cutting stuff like that out and going with basic foods.

qsefthuko 02-15-2013 08:35 PM

Most of the gerber stuff has dairy and almost certainly contains wheat/gluten. Ritz crackers has wheat also. It is likely the primary ingredient.

FindingMercy 02-15-2013 09:27 PM

If she has that limited of a diet I would expect to keep her On formula for a while. She will need it to round out her nutrition until she can eat a larger quantity of solid food. There's no need to make her stop taking it just because she's nearing a year old.

Keep things simple. A roast, grilled chicken, whole roasted chicken, bunless hamburgers, etc with some roasted or steamed veggies will become a dinner staple. Breakfast of eggs, bacon, and fruit. Snacks of nuts and raisins. You get the idea. Start learning to just shop the perimeter of grocery store - produce, meats, etc.

MissyMia 02-17-2013 07:58 PM

I hated giving my daughter cereal and puffs for a snack, so I always gave her beans. Mostly black beans because they are small, but kidney beans I cut in half.

suthrnmomto3 02-17-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissyMia (Post 16300811)
I hated giving my daughter cereal and puffs for a snack, so I always gave her beans. Mostly black beans because they are small, but kidney beans I cut in half.

I'm scared with all her stomach problems beans would be too gassy for her...:(

jbug_4 02-18-2013 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suthrnmomto3 (Post 16300881)
I'm scared with all her stomach problems beans would be too gassy for her...:(

We stayed away from them too. I don't think I even tried to give her a bean until after 2. Don't know if we needed to but there was no way with the misery her tummy caused that first year I was going anywhere near a bean.

MissyMia 02-18-2013 07:15 AM

Yeah that might be true. I just thought if there was a gluten issue, then beans would be better then crackers.

Only other thing I could think of would be fruit smoothies or homemade "ice cream". I blend frozen fruit with a little non-dairy milk, and it comes out like soft serve ice cream. Strawberry is my kids favorite. That and homemade granola bars so you control the ingredients. I use a recipe that uses applesauce instead of oil, keeps them healthier.