Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   How to help a child poop on the toilet? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492060)

dressagemom 02-15-2013 04:43 PM

How to help a child poop on the toilet?

My DD is almost 3, and has been peeing in the toilet for almost 2 months. She WILL NOT poop in the toilet, though, which is very frustrating. She recognizes when she needs to poop, but she will not let it come out unless she is wearing underwear. I've never had this issue with any of my older children, and I'm sort of at my wit's end with it. She has never liked pooping, and has always held in her poop until the very last second possible. She is not constipated, she just doesn't like to poop. Any thoughts?

strongwoman 02-15-2013 10:34 PM

Re: How to help a child poop on the toilet?

I would ditch the undies for now. It just feels like a nice diaper to her, like a safety net. Try having her wear some long cotton pants that are easy to take on and off. When she poops in them, it will feel gross and icky as it runs down her leg. You may also need to go back to nakie time and catch her mid-poop. That might encourage her to poop in the toilet. What is your approach when you know she needs to go? Are you relaxed or intense? Are you asking her if she needs to go or telling her to come to the toilet? Is she hiding to poop? I would try to make things as relaxed as possible: sing songs with her, laugh, tell jokes, read a book, bring the toy she is playing with to the potty when she shows her signals. Maybe grunt right along with her or tell her, "It's ok honey, let it go". That's what I did with DS3. The dude was so proud of himself, he said, "Look, I made a J!" If she is hiding, maybe she needs some privacy, tell her where the toilet is, say, "I can see you need to poop- there's the toilet" and let her make the decision to go there. Keep trying mama, she will get there!

dressagemom 02-16-2013 03:20 PM

I did think about ditching the undies. Unfortunately, she almost always poops when she wakes from her nap, so by the time I realize she needed to poop (I mean, really needed to poop; did I mention she is a MASTER at holding it in?), she's done it already in her undies when she is waking up. I don't know how to correct or prevent this. She has put a teensy tiny bit in the toilet twice, for which she was given the promised reward, and for which she felt very proud.

strongwoman 02-16-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dressagemom (Post 16296632)
I did think about ditching the undies. Unfortunately, she almost always poops when she wakes from her nap, so by the time I realize she needed to poop (I mean, really needed to poop; did I mention she is a MASTER at holding it in?), she's done it already in her undies when she is waking up. I don't know how to correct or prevent this. She has put a teensy tiny bit in the toilet twice, for which she was given the promised reward, and for which she felt very proud.

Yeah, ditch the undies and let her go nakies or commando during nap time, then she won't be able to wait for them during nap time. My DS2 did the same thing for a couple of days so i had him go nakies during nap time. ever since ditching the dipes during nap and night time, he's never pooped in his bed. Try it!

painter412 02-16-2013 10:45 PM

after lunch, she always poops, i put the portable potty infront of the tv and had her sit on it till she popped. gave her lots of apple juice too. worked every time. all 3 kids

lisa0842 03-01-2013 10:41 AM

My daughter didn't like to poop in the potty for awhile either, but she wasn't one to hold it in. We'd have undies or nothing and she'd ask for a diaper when she had to poop. I've had her watch her 4 yr old brother poop thinking it might help her, but it didn't. She actually finally pooped when I read her one of those potty training books while she was trying to go. Maybe it relaxed her? I'm not sure if it was the book or the distraction, but it worked. And we made up a song and a dance for after she goes. She loves singing and dancing. She also likes saying bye to it after we flush it.

penguinande 03-03-2013 01:42 AM

Haha, I have almost this exact same problem and just posted a new thread about it. We've tried letting her go commando until naptime too, but she just waits until she has her nap diaper on. It's getting pretty frustrating, and she is my 1st so I'm feeling pretty inexperienced and not sure what to try next.

teacherpippi 03-03-2013 10:43 AM

One of my friends cut a slit in her dd's underwear so she could wear them while on the potty. It helped her get over only wanting to poop in her diaper.

coquelicot 03-03-2013 11:12 AM

Also, be patient. Sometimes kids take longer to be comfortable with pooping on the potty than they are peeing. My DD was one of those; she'd pee just fine but wait for nap or bedtime diapers before pooping. I kept offering rewards for poop in the potty, and I made a big joke out of it. I'd ask her to squeeeeeeeze and PLOP! She thought that was hilarious. After about 4 months, she was pooping in the potty just fine.

dressagemom 03-03-2013 08:15 PM

We tried napping naked the other day. She pooped in her bed, and then laid there hollering for me to come clean her up. She wasn't at all happy to see that in her bed, and promised me that she is going to put it all in the toilet now.

She is definitely thinking about it, so hopefully it will come sooner rather than later.