Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What would your spouse do for dinner? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492093)

happysmileylady 02-15-2013 06:11 PM

What would your spouse do for dinner?

I am here in the hospital with the baby and we have been here since Tuesday. My mom has been at home babysitting the two younger girls as DH was either here with me or at work. Dh went home each night and I stayed here at the hospital with the baby. Because of the times he had to leave my mom just stayed overnight at my house and because she was there, she made food for everyone. Which meant that DH didn't need to get dinner each night or breakfast or whatever. I had a menu up on the fridge for the week, and the food for it but my mom wanted to make whatever she wanted to make and she bought whatever she needed to make that stuff so it's all good.

But it occurs to me tonight, if my mom hadn't been there, what would DH have done? I know he couldn't have followed the menu because he doesn't know how to make those things. For example I had pizza down for tomorrow night-made from scratch crust sauce, etc. I don't have any sort of frozen pizza or other ready to microwave stuff.

Had my mom been there I am not sure that Dh could have provided real meals. I mean he could have gotten FOOD for the kids and because there aren't many options it would have been mostly healthy. But they wouldn't have been meals. He couldn't get together spaghetti or pizza or stirfry, he couldn't have provided the meals on the menu.

How about your spouse? If you had to be away suddenly for a period of time, how would your spouse have handled food for the family?

cmarsh31 02-15-2013 06:15 PM

Re: What would your spouse do for dinner?

Mac & cheese (from a box)
Tuna sandwiches
Scrambled eggs
hotdogs
From the freezer (I'd have to tell him where and what to do) He could do spaghetti & meatballs (frozen sauce, always pasta in the pantry), bbq chicken sandwiches (shredded chicken in ziplock bags, meal amounts), stew... trying to think what else is in the freezer...

If I left him REALLY specific instructions, he could make lemon pesto shrimp, burgers.

I have a very stocked pantry and freezers, though.

hilaryisinked 02-15-2013 06:17 PM

French bread pizzas

Spaghetti

Grilled cheese

Smoothies

Burgers

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

FernHollow 02-15-2013 06:19 PM

My DH would probably make simple things like spaghetti, some other kind of pasta, mini pizzas, soft tacos. He has solid basic cooking skills, but tends to keep things pretty simple and likely would just serve raw veggies on the side.

Arabesque 02-15-2013 06:20 PM

DH is the better cook in our house, so he would've been fine. I doubt he would've followed a meal plan though, he probably would just make stuff up using the ingredients in the fridge. I also wouldn't be surprised if he got takeout.

s@hmommy 02-15-2013 06:22 PM

I keep some easy backup meals around just in case they are needed. Some are not healthy, but they do the job and I don't depend on them long term so I am not concerned about my kids getting a less than stellar meal on occasion. DH work most likely do hot dogs and some canned veggies or ramen noodles with veggies mixed in.

ajbailey89 02-15-2013 06:22 PM

He's an amazing cook and he'd be able to follow my menu plans easily.

7 for now 02-15-2013 06:24 PM

My dh loves to cook and is a fabulous cook! He actually does the cooking when he is home by choice. We use it as family time... Everyone hangs around the bar and talks while he cooks. He is also a fancy cook, not just a plain Jane cook. He is very creative cooking. He says it is a stress reliever for him after being gone all week and eating restaurant food.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

ArronDalesMama 02-15-2013 06:29 PM

If it was one night he would order out. Multiple nights he would cook. Probably steak and Mac and cheese. He knows how to cook but just doesn't cause I'm always home to do it.

wordbox 02-15-2013 06:29 PM

My husband actually does most of the cooking and menu planning, so he'd do just fine. He'd do pasta, some sort of Mexican food, whatever else he felt like making, and probably take out a couple of times for the sake of convenience.