Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   How do you do handwriting without tears? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492148)

Greenbabybottoms 02-15-2013 10:39 PM

How do you do handwriting without tears?

Just trying to figure out ow others typically incorporate it into their daily lessons. I've read some where people do all the hands on/manipulative work for all of one type of letter then go back and do the actual pencil to paper practice. Like doing the hands on stiff for the frog jump letters then when all hands on are done actually doing pencil to paper. Then I read where people did it by the letter. Like on Tuesday you may build the letter with wood pieces, then do the wet dry try with the blackboard then pencil to paper. So how do you do it and why? I have a kindergartner and 1st grader.

SweetMamaBear 02-15-2013 11:46 PM

Re: How do you do handwriting without tears?

My kids love to write and mail letters to Grandma! It is great handwriting practice

7mom7 02-16-2013 07:21 AM

I just have them do the workbook. Early on we did the chalkboard but I didn't even buy the wooden letters. We used to do one page a day but lately I've just been making sure we get it in a couple of times a week. My son using the K workbook usually reads the word and colors in the picture when he's done. Then I let him put a sticker by his best written letter. I have a box on our white board taped off so I can demonstrate the letters to him and he has a good frame of reference. DS picked up some bad habits in pre-k and was starting his letters in weird places. HWOT quickly solved those issues.

I agree with PP about letter writing. I make DS write thank you notes as his handwriting practice when he receives a gift. On those days we don't do HWOT.

chickiwawa 02-16-2013 01:22 PM

Thanks, 7mom7 for that! My Pre-K DS writes his letters the wrong way, so I'm hoping HWOT will help correct that. Your post is encouraging to my stressed out self.

7mom7 02-16-2013 03:05 PM

:thumbsup:

painter412 02-16-2013 10:28 PM

my children are the same ages. i use this. I DO NOT use the teachers book. there is really no need. I give them the book and they practice their handwriting. A page a day. We briefly talked about descending and tall letters, but it was a short lesson on the types of letters. Practice is the key. this book is great practice. my 6 year old has done the first two books and is on the third. i have all their handwriting books, but NONE of the leader guides.

bonusround 02-23-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMamaBear (Post 16294909)
My kids love to write and mail letters to Grandma! It is great handwriting practice

We are going to be doing this soon too! :goodvibes: