Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Gluten free lunches (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492220)

lensesforeyes 02-16-2013 11:16 AM

I need help thinking of a few lunches that are gluten free. I won't be making my own bread until I can get a bread maker, and I really never realized how much we counted on bread and English muffins for lunch!

My kids won't touch soup. We have tried almond butter on celery (peanut allergies), and the kids basically licked the almond butter off, although very surprisingly my child with food aversions ate the celery. Right now we are doing things like homemade lunchables (cut up cheese and lunch meat with veggie crisps and fruit), meat rolls (lunch meat with cream cheese) with fruit, and cottage cheese with fruit. While my kids have enjoyed all of this, they have to eat a LOT of it to be full, and that gets really expensive, especially with four of them. So filling ideas would be awesome!

The Fancy Pansy 02-16-2013 11:23 AM

Re: Gluten free lunches

GF bread is very easy to make without a bread maker. The mixer does all the work, it doesn't have to be kneaded like standard bread. If you'd like a recipe, I can pull up the one I use. :)

briggsy13 02-16-2013 01:05 PM

I've started adding rice cakes to our lunch as a "filler". They really enjoy them. That with fruit and chesse they are happy campers. Sometimes they put PB on them, but usually they just eat the caramel or white cheddar ones plain.

meeshkasheeba 02-16-2013 01:24 PM

I eat Hard boiled eggs, gf pastas, tons of rice, salad with some meat and cheese, We occasionally buy gf crackers or breads but not often. I like to take left overs from dinner for lunch the next day so we have invested in some good insulated containers so the food stays hot till lunch.

kushie tushie 02-16-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy (Post 16295926)
GF bread is very easy to make without a bread maker. The mixer does all the work, it doesn't have to be kneaded like standard bread. If you'd like a recipe, I can pull up the one I use. :)

Id love to see your recipe if you don't mind :)

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!

FindingMercy 02-16-2013 01:33 PM

Eggs with salsa and cheese mixed in on tortilla chips or in a wrap

Hot dogs

Grilled chicken

Cheese cubes

Nuts

Hamburgers without buns

I just look for some kind of protein source and serve that with lots of veggies and fruit. We do roasted sweet potatoes a lot as my girls always eat them well. If they fill up mostly on veggies and eat just a little side of protein, I'm ok with that as our dinners tend to be meat heavy, so a more veggie/fruit filled lunch works well for us.

lensesforeyes 02-16-2013 10:19 PM

I should also mention that other than lunch meat, my kids won't eat meat plain. In fact, it's even a hit or miss when it's not plain. I have found when it comes to dinner, which we almost always make in the crock pot, they will just pick the veggies out to eat if we don't put cheese on it. They also don't like rice much, although they are getting better about eating it since we have it with dinner almost every night. I was thinking about trying cinnamon rice, but haven't yet.

My husband takes most of our leftovers to work, which I'm fine with. Half the time the kids won't eat them anyway, so that way they get eaten.

I am trying to get away from pasta heavy meals, rice pasta is so expensive. :/ I do like most of the ideas, though. And I'll take the bread recipe, I was mostly thinking that with how little time I have it would be easier to wait until I have a bread maker so I can just dump everything in and push a button. :blush:

The Fancy Pansy 02-17-2013 08:27 AM

Sorry, I couldn't find the recipe online, and it's not on this computer. I'll have to dig it out and type it up.

mommaagain 02-17-2013 08:44 AM

When we're out of bread, we do roll ups with lunch meat, cheese sticks, fruit/fruit strips, and add gf crackers, rice cakes or pretzels to round things out. I've sent veggies with hummus, fruit and yogurt, mac and cheese with veggies and/or diced ham, and left-overs. I love the kids thermos lunch containers. They all have their favorite dinners, so at least one will be agreeable to having a "hot-lunch" on occasion. DS in particular would never chance anyone else getting their hands on his meatloaf, lol!

I've really made an effort over the years to explain how important good nutrition and a balanced diet is to my kids. It's really helped to decrease the arguing about "why can't I have xxxx?"

The Fancy Pansy 02-17-2013 09:13 AM

Oh, yeah. My mom rolls everything up in corn tortillas. Hot dogs, baked chicken, little quesadillas, you name it.