Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Think I have shingles, bfing 5 month old. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492225)

KLeeCW 02-16-2013 10:52 AM

Think I have shingles, bfing 5 month old.

I have this rash on my stomach and I'm fairly certain it's shingles. It started a few days ago with a couple dots, then the next day a few more, and then yesterday I noticed it was about 14 dots in a concentrated area. DH had shingles a couple years back and it looks very similar. This morning there are 18 dots and it's incredibly itchy. I can't go to urgent care until DH gets off work at 8pm.

I know I should keep bfing so DD can get the antibodies, but I'm wondering what else to do. It's high enough on my stomach that DD could come in contact with it when she's nursing, so I'm trying to keep it covered since I know that is where it is mostly contagious. Has anyone had shingles while bfing? Is there anything to take for it or does it just runs its course? Did your child catch chicken pox?

meldo 02-16-2013 10:58 AM

Re: Think I have shingles, bfing 5 month old.

I had shingles while nursing a 6 mo. Definitely keep nursing. My DD came into contact with the rash before I knew what it was. At first I thought I had had a reaction to something like detergent or something since I have super sensitive skin. I had a very mild case but DD never got chicken pox so I guess the antibodies worked. I went to the doctor to have it formally diagnosed. She prescribed acyclovir to decrease the severity/length of the rash. Keep it covered, though, to minimize baby's contact. And try not to scratch. Mine was on my belly, about midway between my breasts and belly button, on the right side. I used one of those belly bands from pregnancy to keep my trunk covered.

I think I covered everything. LMK if you have any other questions!

stevensmom 02-16-2013 11:17 AM

you'll be fine. I get shingles all the time...even while breastfeeding. When they put you on acylovir it's safe while breastfeeding so don't worry.

if they are open sores then you need to make sure to have them covered at all times so she can't contact them.

painter412 02-16-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLeeCW (Post 16296008)
I have this rash on my stomach and I'm fairly certain it's shingles. It started a few days ago with a couple dots, then the next day a few more, and then yesterday I noticed it was about 14 dots in a concentrated area. DH had shingles a couple years back and it looks very similar. This morning there are 18 dots and it's incredibly itchy. I can't go to urgent care until DH gets off work at 8pm.

I know I should keep bfing so DD can get the antibodies, but I'm wondering what else to do. It's high enough on my stomach that DD could come in contact with it when she's nursing, so I'm trying to keep it covered since I know that is where it is mostly contagious. Has anyone had shingles while bfing? Is there anything to take for it or does it just runs its course? Did your child catch chicken pox?

there are no antibodies for Shingles, my hubby was just diagnosed a few days ago. It goes away on its own. I would get checked. If your baby is up to date on immunizations, then she will be fine. No transfer.

Mom2jandb 02-16-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by painter412

there are no antibodies for Shingles, my hubby was just diagnosed a few days ago. It goes away on its own. I would get checked. If your baby is up to date on immunizations, then she will be fine. No transfer.

There are most definitely antibodies for shingles. Maybe pp meant antibiotics? I don't agree with the comment about the immunizations either. Your baby may not have been vaxed for varicella yet, even if up to date.

KLeeCW 02-16-2013 11:12 PM

Good lord is this itchy! DD hasn't had the varicella vax, she's not quite 5 months, varicella isn't given til at least a year generally. Thanks for all the responses everyone. And totally misread the urgent care hours. Thought they were open til 9 but they closed at 6.