Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Night diaper for otherwise PT'd 3 year old - Update (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492277)

Layney82 02-16-2013 03:04 PM

Night diaper for otherwise PT'd 3 year old - Update

UPDATE: DS has now been dry all night every night for a week now. :) I guess it was just a phase. Now for the next challenge - getting him to use the toilet instead of the potty.

DS, who will be 3 next week, has been completely day trained for about 3 months now, and not at all night trained. He sleeps so deeply at night that he just doesn't wake up until he is completely soaked. I have no problems with keeping him in diapers at night, but can't find a diaper to contain his massive night pees.

We've tried pampers cruisers in both size 6 and 7, huggies overnights, pull ups, easy ups, MotherEase Toddlease fitteds with 2 flip organics inside and nothing works. He holds it for a long time and then pees like a firehose. The diapers are always saturated, but it also seems like he's peeing out the top of them (though there's not much I can do about that.)

I've had to change his bed and him every night at 1:00am for the last 6 weeks and it's getting really old. We restrict fluids after dinner and he always goes right before bed. What else can I do? I need my uninterrupted sleep and so does he.

WinterBaby 02-16-2013 09:32 PM

Re: Night diaper for otherwise PT'd 3 year old

Have you tried taking him to pee before you go to bed (assuming he goes to bed earlier than you do)? My 7-year old son is a really heavy sleeper and we still take him to pee before we go to bed. We've been doing that with our 2 year old daughter too who is recently day potty trained but not night trained. With my son, even though he doesn't drink much at night and pees right before bed, he has a huge pee when we take him at 10:30 or so.

Layney82 02-16-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinterBaby (Post 16297832)
Have you tried taking him to pee before you go to bed (assuming he goes to bed earlier than you do)? My 7-year old son is a really heavy sleeper and we still take him to pee before we go to bed. We've been doing that with our 2 year old daughter too who is recently day potty trained but not night trained. With my son, even though he doesn't drink much at night and pees right before bed, he has a huge pee when we take him at 10:30 or so.

I think I'll try this again. He sleeps so deeply though that it is really hard to wake him up. I can pick him up and put him on the potty, but he'll just flop over :) Even when he wakes up soaked, he's just awake long enough to call for me, then sleeps while I change his PJs.

BigSamsMom 02-16-2013 11:06 PM

Try the Pampers "Extra Protection", that worked better for us than Huggies Overnights. You could also try putting a pull on type waterproof pant (http://www.pottyscotty.com/mi-00083.html) over his diaper for extra protection. Make sure his "pee-pee" is pointed down when you put his night diaper on, if you feel he is peeing out the top of the diapers. Get some waterproof flannel crib pads (http://www.amazon.com/Carters-Keep-W.../dp/B002UD65YU) to put on top of his sheets, this way if you still have leaks, you are only changing the pad in the wee hours, instead of a whole set of sheets. On the cloth side, maybe try the Toddle-Ease in Bamboo, rather than cotton, and some Zorb doublers, rather than the Flips.

WinterBaby 02-17-2013 05:21 AM

We don't actually wake DS and he doesn't remember the potty trip the next day. We lift him out of bed, carry him to the bathroom, pull down his PJs, put him on the toilet supporting his torso so he doesn't flop over, point his penis down, and he goes. It's getting harder since he weighs about 48 pounds now!

Layney82 02-17-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSamsMom (Post 16298102)
Try the Pampers "Extra Protection", that worked better for us than Huggies Overnights. You could also try putting a pull on type waterproof pant (http://www.pottyscotty.com/mi-00083.html) over his diaper for extra protection. Make sure his "pee-pee" is pointed down when you put his night diaper on, if you feel he is peeing out the top of the diapers. Get some waterproof flannel crib pads (http://www.amazon.com/Carters-Keep-W.../dp/B002UD65YU) to put on top of his sheets, this way if you still have leaks, you are only changing the pad in the wee hours, instead of a whole set of sheets. On the cloth side, maybe try the Toddle-Ease in Bamboo, rather than cotton, and some Zorb doublers, rather than the Flips.

We found the pampers "extra protection" were a flop and actually preferred Huggies. He's a bit of a string bean though and both are way too lose around his legs and way too short in the rise. The crib pads are a great idea, though, and I'm off to get some this afternoon.

We do make sure he's pointing down when we put the diaper on, but it's always pointing straight up whenever he wakes up and, combined with a diaper that's too low in the rise, that's a recipe for a wet bed. I don't think there's much we can do about that though :)

At this point, I don't really want to pay for any more cloth diapers unless I have to, since it's a pain to wash them when we only use one a day; I hate washing them with our clothes and my washing machine won't balance with only one or two diapers in it.

Layney82 02-17-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinterBaby (Post 16298396)
We don't actually wake DS and he doesn't remember the potty trip the next day. We lift him out of bed, carry him to the bathroom, pull down his PJs, put him on the toilet supporting his torso so he doesn't flop over, point his penis down, and he goes. It's getting harder since he weighs about 48 pounds now!

I tried that last night, but gave up when he was limp like spaghetti. I tried to wake him up around 1:00 and he just mumbled 'no pee' and rolled over. How do you get him to actually pee while on the toilet asleep. DS is only 34lbs right now, so it's probably manageable if I can make him pee. Of course, he woke up around six completely soaked.

dublinup 02-17-2013 09:55 AM

What about trying to find a few toddler size prefolds on here with a basic inexpensive cover, like Bummis whisper pant?

jazacher 02-17-2013 09:56 AM

We used Imse Vimse training pants and told him at bed time, we would come and get him at night when it was time to pee and he would pee in the toilet so he didn't have to wet the bed. We carried him to the toilet, pulled his pants down sat him on the cold seat, which is usually what wakes us all up. We did have to hold him up most nights.We'd wait and minute,if needed, remind him to pee so we don't have an accident. U could run the water if that works for ur child. If he was peeing in bed for a couple of nights in a row, I tell him he has to we're a diaper til his body learns better. He got to were he hated diapers and had less accidents. He now (6.5) changes his own clothes and comes and crawls into bed with us but id say that as long as he pees right before bed and doesn't drink water after brushing he only has accidents once every 2 months. There is a light at the end of this very hard time. I remember leaning against the wall, wondering if he would be the only grauate to still pee his bed. .'just keep swimming, just keep swimming...'

WinterBaby 02-17-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Layney82 (Post 16298866)
I tried that last night, but gave up when he was limp like spaghetti. I tried to wake him up around 1:00 and he just mumbled 'no pee' and rolled over. How do you get him to actually pee while on the toilet asleep. DS is only 34lbs right now, so it's probably manageable if I can make him pee. Of course, he woke up around six completely soaked.

My DS is limp like spaghetti too, but heavy spaghetti. Lol. It's not easy to lift him out of bed, but we do it. We support his torso while he sits. He somehow pees even though he is asleep. Sometimes it takes a few minutes and we say "pshhh...." like a peeing sound. Maybe it's the cold toilet seat or the position on the toilet but he somehow knows to pee (most of the time; sometimes it takes a while). He remembers nothing the next day! It may be easier at 10:30ish pm than 1 am since you are more awake and he may be in a different sleep phase than he is in the middle of the night. I find that my kids can be taken to pee without waking (DS) or fully waking (DD) and transition right back into bed most easily between 10 and 11 pm.