Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Miquon Math? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492293)

RainandRedemption 02-16-2013 02:44 PM

Miquon Math?

I like the look of the Miquon Math program and the reviews I read on it are great. Does anyone here have any experience with it that they can share?

I am specifically looking at this program for next year, I'm also going to post another thread for hands on math for early grades, specifically first grade.

It still overwhelmes me a little to look into all these programs and keep them all straight in my mind while getting a feel for what each one offers :)

Thanks for any advice, experience or input.

**************Another question added in post 5

blondeviolin 02-16-2013 03:01 PM

Re: Miquon Math?

We use it as a supplement. My oldest is to the point where most of the arithmetic is too easy for her. My oldest son has completed most of the orange book. Get some C Rods and let your child just play with them while you read through the teacher materials. Miquon is a very different way of teaching. It's awesome, IMO, but some never really get it. C rods are a great way of making math hands-on and seeing the relationship between numbers. Also check out educationunboxed.com for ideas on how to teach with the rods. It will make Miquon more understandable to you as a parent.

bizybee 02-16-2013 03:22 PM

I used it for preschool math. After that, it started to confuse me. I never bought the rods. I do like the abstract way it teaches, though, and might start back up with it when I can get the rods.
I like Math-U-See as well.

RainandRedemption 02-16-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondeviolin (Post 16296825)
We use it as a supplement. My oldest is to the point where most of the arithmetic is too easy for her. My oldest son has completed most of the orange book. Get some C Rods and let your child just play with them while you read through the teacher materials. Miquon is a very different way of teaching. It's awesome, IMO, but some never really get it. C rods are a great way of making math hands-on and seeing the relationship between numbers. Also check out educationunboxed.com for ideas on how to teach with the rods. It will make Miquon more understandable to you as a parent.

Thank you. This link is awesome. DH and I are thinking this looks pretty good :)

RainandRedemption 02-16-2013 06:35 PM

Another question!! For anyone who's used the program...

#1. Notes to Teachers contains Miquon's philosophical statement about children, learning, and teaching and gives an overview of the Miquon program. Tips included.

#2. Lab Sheet Annotations contains instructions for use of the children's lab sheets in the entire series of Miquon books. Includes preliminary activities, teaching suggestions, and follow-up activities for many of the lab sheets. The Annotations are an essential part of the Miquon program.

#3. First-Grade Diary Learn how the Miquon program was used in a classroom situation on a day-to-day basis. I found it very useful.

I know I need the second one. Do I need to buy both of the other two books, or are they both similar enough that one is fine? And if so which one is better?

Designsbybequi 02-19-2013 10:07 PM

I used the program for kindergarten and absolutely loved it!! I bought all the books and read them all and the cuisinaire rods. I just did one worksheet a day or a lesson in the daily lab book. I alternated them. We spent four days filling out the 100's chart though. For first grade, I would add or supplement a basic math workbook or drill sheets and addition/subtraction cards for the last two or three months of the year. First grade math is basically memorizing addition/subtraction tables at least up to 10. Miquon math will get you there and beyond even but I'd make sure the student could answer an addition worksheet in the form of standard testing. I'd give my daughter an addition sheet I pulled from another workbook and she answered them all fine. The flash cards would be to make sure she had the facts down cold. 2nd grade starts adding double digits so it'd help to know the facts well. Another workbook like total math would cost you $10 and you'd have all you needed. Addition cards are everywhere even the dollar stores.

Designsbybequi 02-19-2013 10:14 PM

Don't forget to cover counting money, telling time, measurements, temperature, using a ruler, calendar, etc which is all considered math. Not sure if you're covering that another way but your supplemental math workbook will have most of that in it.

firstlynn 02-19-2013 11:01 PM

we use miquon to supplement singapore math essentials/1a. My DS1 is almost 5. he likes miquon & the c-rods + education unboxed...he calls it "the math that he likes"

3rugrats 02-20-2013 06:49 PM

I am also looking at Miquon, so am subbing this thread! :goodvibes:

is your child at the 1st grade level? I've got a child whom I'm looking for K math and wondering if this might be too advanced for K. do you have any thoughts on that?

eta: just read some others' posts and it seems that it works for K too?

bonusround 02-23-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainandRedemption (Post 16297459)
Another question!! For anyone who's used the program...

#1. Notes to Teachers contains Miquon's philosophical statement about children, learning, and teaching and gives an overview of the Miquon program. Tips included.

#2. Lab Sheet Annotations contains instructions for use of the children's lab sheets in the entire series of Miquon books. Includes preliminary activities, teaching suggestions, and follow-up activities for many of the lab sheets. The Annotations are an essential part of the Miquon program.

#3. First-Grade Diary Learn how the Miquon program was used in a classroom situation on a day-to-day basis. I found it very useful.

I know I need the second one. Do I need to buy both of the other two books, or are they both similar enough that one is fine? And if so which one is better?

I would suggest getting the First Grade Diary too. It was nice to see what should be expected of kids that age generally (at least based on the class). Borrow it from someone if you can, or buy it and resell after reading. Make sure you have C-rods!