Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   How to pt when not at home (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492581)

nbert921 02-17-2013 08:02 PM

How to pt when not at home

We are pting our 22month dd. she does great at home (especially since its been less than a week!) but I always put a diaper on her any time we leave the house. I don't want to send her mixed messages between potty and diaper. Can someone please offer advice on what worked for you. Thanks!

mibarra 02-17-2013 08:21 PM

Waterproof trainers for out of house to prevent messes, 1st stop anywhere we go is the potty. Once they are more consistent absorbent trainers :)

strongwoman 02-17-2013 10:11 PM

Re: How to pt when not at home

We started taking DS2 (at 24 months) out on small outings- nothing longer than an hour, just to build confidence. Also got in a good pee before leaving. If it was a long trip (3 hour drive), we put a diaper on him and called it his "travel diaper" and explained that as soon as we got to our destination, it was coming off. Always had him take a pee outside of the car (much easier to do since I have two other kids in tow) if we were headed into the store to shop for groceries. Now, at 25 months, he has never peed in his car seat. That's what worked for us- I hope these strategies help!

luvsviola 02-17-2013 10:26 PM

We do pullups for out and about. But, even in the pullups, the first thing we do EVERYWHERE is hit the potty, so she gets used to going potty other places.

Kiddo has to be dry consistently for a couple months before I am cool with panties in the carseat.

doulamomma 02-17-2013 10:40 PM

We travel with a baby bjorn potty in the car.

Sent from my droid

Shimpie 02-17-2013 11:45 PM

Same here, I've got a baby Bjorn potty in the back of the station wagon. We used to stop every hour to pee during road trips. I used a prefold to clean up the potty and it all went in wetbag.

WinterBaby 02-18-2013 07:05 AM

Once we started potty training, DD didn't wear diapers except for naps and night. I carried her little potty with us everywhere for the first month or two and took her to the bathroom often while out. She only had a couple of accidents at the playground early on and was actually better with staying dry while out than at home. I didn't feel like buying cloth trainers but that sounds like a good idea if you want to limit the mess. Regular fleece pants are also great for keeping pee from getting all over the floor. In the beginning we also limited outings to shorter times and tried to be places where she could get to the potty/bathroom really quickly. It was a pain but was a short period of time in the grand scheme of things, and it's great to have this done before spring/summer when there are lots of fun outings. Now we don't think much about the potty while out. She tells me when she has to go and uses a regular toilet.

nbert921 02-19-2013 05:18 AM

thanks for the advice. i'm looking into buying the Kalencom - Potette Plus 2-in-1 Portable Potty & Trainer to take with us for outings. this way i can either use it in the car or in a restroom.

i didn't want to spend the extra money on trainers just yet. i did buy 2 of the Dappi pull up covers to put over her panties when out to try to contain any accidents. my thought is maybe first try putting her panties on and taking her to my parents house whehere the potty is easily accessible and an accident wouldn't be too difficult to clean up.

also, has any one every used a "piddle pad" for the car seats? or can i just put a towel down?

7mom7 02-19-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbert921 (Post 16305725)
thanks for the advice. i'm looking into buying the Kalencom - Potette Plus 2-in-1 Portable Potty & Trainer to take with us for outings. this way i can either use it in the car or in a restroom.

i didn't want to spend the extra money on trainers just yet. i did buy 2 of the Dappi pull up covers to put over her panties when out to try to contain any accidents. my thought is maybe first try putting her panties on and taking her to my parents house whehere the potty is easily accessible and an accident wouldn't be too difficult to clean up.

also, has any one every used a "piddle pad" for the car seats? or can i just put a towel down?

We used this potty seat with DS1 and I loved it. With DS2 I just put him in pull-ups when we are out for a long trip and he uses public potties. We just started at the very end of January and last weekend we were out for hours and he did great. He is not confused by the transition from underwear to pull-ups. He'll still tell us when he needs to go no matter what he's in.

Nerissa 02-19-2013 07:37 AM

We do diapers when out and about until they are completely accident free.

It doesn't confuse them. I offer the potty each time anyone older has to go.

I do not stress about potty training. I hate hate hate cleaning up potty mess especially out and about. If I have to worry the entire time if my child is going to have an accident and they dont/can't tell me. they for everyone sanity they are in diapers.

All of my kids have potty trained/learned within a month because I don't pressure them to use the potty before they are physically/mentally ready. If I have to remember to take them/watch for clues or they have accidents then they are not ready.