Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Washer and Dryer questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492642)

homebirthmomma 02-18-2013 06:24 AM

Washer and Dryer questions

I am in the market for a new washer and dryer. I have heard that the new HE front loaders don't wash your diapers very well ,is this true? Do the new top loaders do better? Can anyone recommed a washer and dryer that they LOVE? It's so hard to know which one to go with..

Skybaby712 02-18-2013 06:25 AM

Subbing, we need a new washer bad...

kelly.baker725 02-18-2013 07:10 AM

Re: Washer and Dryer questions

We love our samsung front loaders!!! I can save setting so that I can do all my diapers with the push of one button - pre wash, sanitize wash with extra water, rinse, extra rinse.

Pixi6s 02-18-2013 07:21 AM

i like the idea of a 1 push button. Ours is too restricting too. I think I should be able to change to a custom setting where all options should be available -- just having the presets with limited options stinks.

xmom4328 02-18-2013 07:26 AM

I used to love our whirlpool duet washer/dryer but not anymore. We have mold buildup on the washer seal despite leaving the washer door open after each wash and the dryer performance has declined over the years despite the use of multiple wool dryer balls and cleaning out the lint trap. Our washer/dryer was purchased in 2007 if that helps.

delladea 02-18-2013 07:31 AM

I love my Samsung HE front loader! It has a lot of presets, however you can adjust water temp, soil level, pre-wash and spin speed on each preset (soil level lengthens or shortens wash time). One thing I have noticed is it will not get diapers very clean unless I have a sizable load to wash, so if I don't have a lot of diapers I'll throw in a couple of towels with the load so everything gets properly agitated.

However the dryer that came with it was another story! Beware buying a Samsung dryer that is just a couple years old. There was a design change sometime during the course of manufacture for our particular dryer to fix a problem with lint not being caught by the lint filter. We have a screen over our dryer vent to keep critters out, and within five loads being dried the screen would be CAKED with lint. We never got Samsung to admit it was a design flaw, however to their credit they did admit that our particular dryer was not catching lint and gave us a factory refund to buy another dryer. (this was after two different technicians came out to our house to look at it and my husband spending a cumulative 20 hours or so on the phone with their customer support...) We ended up with a new-used Kenmore dryer with no frills that works just fine.

The new Samsung dryers seem to have this flaw corrected, because my parents bought one after we bought ours and it has a completely different lint trap. They haven't had a single problem with theirs.

homebirthmomma 02-18-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly.baker725 (Post 16301830)
We love our samsung front loaders!!! I can save setting so that I can do all my diapers with the push of one button - pre wash, sanitize wash with extra water, rinse, extra rinse.

CAn you tell me what model you have? Did you recently purchase them or was it a few years ago? Thanks for everyone's help!!!

homebirthmomma 02-18-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delladea (Post 16301912)
I love my Samsung HE front loader! It has a lot of presets, however you can adjust water temp, soil level, pre-wash and spin speed on each preset (soil level lengthens or shortens wash time). One thing I have noticed is it will not get diapers very clean unless I have a sizable load to wash, so if I don't have a lot of diapers I'll throw in a couple of towels with the load so everything gets properly agitated.

However the dryer that came with it was another story! Beware buying a Samsung dryer that is just a couple years old. There was a design change sometime during the course of manufacture for our particular dryer to fix a problem with lint not being caught by the lint filter. We have a screen over our dryer vent to keep critters out, and within five loads being dried the screen would be CAKED with lint. We never got Samsung to admit it was a design flaw, however to their credit they did admit that our particular dryer was not catching lint and gave us a factory refund to buy another dryer. (this was after two different technicians came out to our house to look at it and my husband spending a cumulative 20 hours or so on the phone with their customer support...) We ended up with a new-used Kenmore dryer with no frills that works just fine.

The new Samsung dryers seem to have this flaw corrected, because my parents bought one after we bought ours and it has a completely different lint trap. They haven't had a single problem with theirs.

What model washer do you have , like is there a certain name to it like Samsung 5070 Thank you:))

homebirthmomma 02-18-2013 08:41 AM

can you tell me the model # you have? Thanks for your help!!

lalalion 02-18-2013 10:07 AM

I got a great GE toploader last summer. It's great for diapers because you can override the HE settings to wash diapers, but can wash regular clothes with less water.
I can't find the model # but here is a picture of my wash settings :)
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...50641616_n.jpg
The "fabric softener" setting lets it fill up with water during the rinse rather than just spraying the clothes.