Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Those who gave birth in a car or accidentallu at home.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492651)

Buena 02-18-2013 07:45 AM

Those who gave birth in a car or accidentallu at home....

How messy was it???? Seriously though I can imagine the car interior ruined, or some thing. .... If you plan a homebirth you have the things prepared, if it just happens well.... What happens??

Tris 02-18-2013 08:02 AM

Re: Those who gave birth in a car or accidentallu at home....

I'm worried about both so Im prepping a kit, a tarp and some puppy piddle pads for starters, I'm still looking into it :D looking forward to others answers though!

Joyful Tie Dyes 02-18-2013 08:55 AM

Accidental home birth here in our bed. We had to wash our sheets and comforter and the mattress topper (memory foam) had to be replaced but aside from that we did some laundry is all :

Buena 02-18-2013 02:44 PM

I'm thinking if its gonna happen at home, I'll opt for the bathtub with towels. Lol. Car, I'm screwed

AHASRADA 02-18-2013 08:03 PM

Dd was born unexpectedly at home. I was dressed and ready to head to the hospital when I felt her coming. We called the ambulance, but she arrived before they did. I chose to get down on all fours on the kitchen floor, since I saw no point in soiling a place that would be hard to clean (bed, rug, etc.). Several towels were ruined, but that's about it.

Kiliki 02-19-2013 12:34 PM

We were planning a HB but I delivered very, very quickly, so we had nothing prepared. I labored on the toilet some, then moved to the kitchen, I just waddled with a towel between my legs. My water broke when I was in bed, but there was no GUSH of fluid b/c my baby's head was engaged at that point. He came flying out and DH had to deliver him.

We did have a birth tub set up, but not even enough time to fill it more than maybe 4". I delivered in the tub. So most of the mess was there.

But we also had a mess in our kitchen - blood and amnio fluid and tissue - which wasn't a huge deal b/c it was a lanolium floor. We just cleaned it up and then sanitized everything.

There were some dribbles and drips in the hallway and bathroom. The toilet had to be cleaned and the shower. We scrubbed the hallway as best we could.

In a car, we would be totally screwed. If I had the presence of mind, I'd rather deliver on the side of the road in the grass than actually IN the car. I'd be so worried about the stink of rotting tissue/bodily fluids...

Maybe just get a tarp and keep it in the car just in case. If you are at home, you can always stay in the tub/shower and the mess will be contained. Or at least try to stay over a hard floor so that it isn't soaking into the carpet.

Tina5834 02-19-2013 02:10 PM

Just put a cheap shower curtain and old blanket in the car. Then you'd be prepared!

MrsJordan85 02-19-2013 02:49 PM

Accidental homebirth in my bed, we didn't have any protection on our mattress and it was ruined. My MIL got us a new one though, so win-win! :)

Buena 02-19-2013 04:16 PM

Def hitting the dollar store for a shower curtain and ill throw an old comforter in the car that can be trashed after!

newbiemama 02-19-2013 04:31 PM

a close friend had an unexpected birth in their van (in the front seat) and they just brought it to a detailer to have it cleaned. can't see any staining anymore.