Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Natural bubble bath - using dish soap (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492839)

unfadingcolors 02-18-2013 05:21 PM

Natural bubble bath - using dish soap
 
Am I a bad mom? I just used Seventh Generation free & clear dish soap in the tub for DS's bubble bath.

I am getting sick of spending $9 on the tiny bottle of Burt's bees bubble bath at the store.

Has anyone else done this? I added some lavender essential oil to the bath and it smells wonderful.

drunkenmonkeysmommy1 02-18-2013 05:23 PM

I would think it might be drying for their skin. But every once in while will not hurt. I bet they had a blast

Sweetbabybows 02-18-2013 05:24 PM

Re: Natural bubble bath - using dish soap
 
I've never done it but definitely thought about it. We use dawn....the only thing stopping me really is I'm afraid it would sting if they got it in their eyes.

jmb162 02-18-2013 05:27 PM

We also used dawn a couple times but it was very drying to DS's skin.

$9 would be a lot considering how much we go through here!

Palooka 02-18-2013 05:35 PM

Nope, not a bad mom. But I wouldn't do it too often. My friend used to have yeast infections and other problems down there as a kid, and only as an adult did she suspect it was due to her family's liberal use of dish soap in the bath. She tried it a couple times to see if it was that and it was.

debcita429 02-18-2013 05:38 PM

Re: Natural bubble bath - using dish soap
 
Biokleen makes a dish soap that doubles as a bubble bath, but the fact is that it is a TERRIBLE dish soap that does not cut grease in the slightest (makes for a fairly cheap bubble bath though). Most dish soaps would strip oils from the skin too much, I would think. I suspect Earth Friendly Products Dish Mate might also work in the bath... precisely b/c they don't work all that much better than Biokleen in the dishpan (in fact, I wish I had thought of that while I was struggling to use the Earth Friendly pear dish mate up... it would have made a good smelling bath).

So generally, I wouldn't recommend it.... But some of the weaker natural products might be gentle enough. And giving it a try certainly doesn't make you a bad mom!

debcita429 02-18-2013 05:42 PM

Re: Natural bubble bath - using dish soap
 
Here is the aforementioned dish soap that actually does make a pretty good bubble bath for the money (5.35 for 32 oz): http://www.vitacost.com/biokleen-han...iquid-32-fl-oz

unfadingcolors 02-18-2013 05:43 PM

Re: Natural bubble bath - using dish soap
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by debcita429 (Post 16304249)
Biokleen makes a dish soap that doubles as a bubble bath, but the fact is that it is a TERRIBLE dish soap that does not cut grease in the slightest (makes for a fairly cheap bubble bath though). Most dish soaps would strip oils from the skin too much, I would think. I suspect Earth Friendly Products Dish Mate might also work in the bath... precisely b/c they don't work all that much better than Biokleen in the dishpan (in fact, I wish I had thought of that while I was struggling to use the Earth Friendly pear dish mate up... it would have made a good smelling bath).

So generally, I wouldn't recommend it.... But some of the weaker natural products might be gentle enough. And giving it a try certainly doesn't make you a bad mom!

I think I read once about someone using Biokleen dish soap for bubble bath. I'm going to check Amazon to see how different the ingredients are from seventh generation. I already use Biokleen for my laundry soap, love their stuff.

I would definitely not use dawn or any dish soap like that in the tub.. I figured seventh generation would be better since its natural/biodegradable.

I'll be sure to put lots of Shea butter on the little man tonight in case it dried out his skin!

unfadingcolors 02-18-2013 05:45 PM

Re: Natural bubble bath - using dish soap
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmb162 (Post 16304219)
We also used dawn a couple times but it was very drying to DS's skin.

$9 would be a lot considering how much we go through here!

I know, it's way too much but I've been spending it because I don't want to use the bubble bath full of ??? on the ingredient list

And ds loves bubble baths..

unfadingcolors 02-18-2013 05:47 PM

Re: Natural bubble bath - using dish soap
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenn.mcc (Post 16304242)
Nope, not a bad mom. But I wouldn't do it too often. My friend used to have yeast infections and other problems down there as a kid, and only as an adult did she suspect it was due to her family's liberal use of dish soap in the bath. She tried it a couple times to see if it was that and it was.

I can see that being a problem! Especially with the not so natural dish soaps.
We haven't had to deal with any yeast infections yet and ds will be 3 in April. I have always used natural soap on him


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors