Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Starting, totally overwhelmed. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492978)

Mara'sMommy 02-19-2013 08:39 AM

Starting, totally overwhelmed.

I want to start homeschooling next month after my toddlers second birthday. Very basic, maybe 45mins-1hr, once or twice a day. I have NO idea what to do, where to go, what to buy....please help. I bought the Toddler Busy Book or something along those lines, it hasn't arrived yet so I have no idea what it's like. We also have a small table and chairs, a desk with an easel, markers, crayons, and a small bookshelf. All of the stuff i'm coming across seems to advanced. She has a large vocabulary and knows many words, but she still doesn't get colors and shapes. Thank you for any help!

Kristi26 02-19-2013 10:19 AM

Re: Starting, totally overwhelmed.

We don't do any formal schooling at all around here until kindergarten, and even then, it's meant to be fun and get my children to love school. That being said, I can tell you what my three year old did today during school time (he is slightly behind in some areas, doing well in others for reference):

1. Play dough time
2. Magnetic letter play
3. Alphabet puzzle
4. Busy Farm from Discovery Toys (with me)
5. Played trains by himself for awhile
6. During lunch, he is watching Team Umizoomi (because I'm that mom that let's my kid watch tv while he eats :blush: )

Because he is slightly behind in fine motor skills, we also will do some of the following regularly:

1. Button game: moving buttons from one bowl to another with tweezers
2. Rice game: Digging through dry rice for hidden objects
3. Birdy game: Picking up "worms" made from pipe cleaners using a clothes pin
4. Biggie Beads: You can find them on Amazon
5. Painting (he hates finger painting, but that would be a good idea for a kid who likes it)

We also have some other puzzles with numbers and colors and shapes. Those help with working on those things. He also enjoys playing games at www.pbskids.org, www.nickjr.com, www.sproutonline.com...He loves his Leappad. He is particularly good at Logic Puzzles in my opinion.

There are some great websites with free printables all over the internet. Here are some of my favorites:

http://www.homeschoolshare.com
http://www.tlsbooks.com/preschoolworksheets.htm
http://www.education.com/

HTH!

tallanvor 02-19-2013 10:40 AM

At that age, we just play and read. Things get worked into those things. For instance, when we are working on colors, we'll color. Or when we pick up we'll count cars or talk about the colors of cars. Nothing formal, just very relaxed. We read a lot at that age. If they were wiggly and didn't want to sit for a book, I would read while they played sometimes. We would take walks and talk about what we saw. After a rain we'd go find worms and watch them and play with them. At that age they absorb sooooooooo much information just through life there is no need to do anything formal.

iris0110 02-19-2013 10:41 AM

I'm another in the 2 is too young for school group. I honestly think 5 is young for school. At 2 just reading and playing together is more than enough. Play with play dough, do puzzles, and make sure to make plenty of time to read and explore the world around you. I'm big on trying to get outside every day and explore. Look for bugs, play in the grass, dig in the dirt and if you find something you are really interested in you can find books about it to read. Just don't push it. 1hour is a long time for a 5year old.

R055ANA 02-19-2013 11:42 AM

Hi there!

It's great you are interested in helping your toddlers learn and have so many wonderful things to help them learn.

Like other wonderful PPs have said you don't need to do a program or have a specific structure to help your toddlers learn. Don't overwhelm yourself. The most important thing you can do is spend time w/ your children. You don't need to look for specific lessons. Your children can be your best leaders. What are they doing at the moment? Join in w/ them and have fun. You will amazed how much they pick up and how you are enjoying your time w/ them w/o feel overwhelmed.

Best wishes and feel free to ask us more questions.

Leah52 02-19-2013 11:46 AM

Honestly if you go into this expecting your 2 yr old to "do school" for an hour you're going to get even more overwhelmed. Five minutes would probably be more realistic. Right now my two yr old is sitting in the kitchen banging on pots and pans and singing. Later on we might color, look at some books, watch Elmo. I don't even think about "school" just every day living, reading and playing and helping around here.

Kiliki 02-19-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah52 (Post 16307161)
Honestly if you go into this expecting your 2 yr old to "do school" for an hour you're going to get even more overwhelmed. Five minutes would probably be more realistic. Right now my two yr old is sitting in the kitchen banging on pots and pans and singing. Later on we might color, look at some books, watch Elmo. I don't even think about "school" just every day living, reading and playing and helping around here.

I'm going to agree with this. I think at that age, they learn more through play than any other way. I wouldn't expect them to sit for any period of time at all, really... not for anything formal anyway. Reading books together, playing hiding games, stacking blocks, playing with a doll house or play kitchen, etc. are all great learning experiences for a 2 y/o.

My 2 y/o is loving legos with my older kids lately.

7mom7 02-19-2013 03:51 PM

We did do school and call it that at age 2 with both of my kids. Really it was similar to circle time and it started out around 5 minutes and grew to about 15. If I lost their attention, we stopped. We opened with prayer, read a story, did a few flash cards, and I use Hooked on Phonics as a guide for introducing letters/sounds. We do math with food and fingers at that age. Aside from that we'd read at nap and bedtime, sometimes after supper. We also did a lot of intentional play like PP have mentioned. I'd rather have 5 or 10 minutes of focused time than 1 hour of fighting to get your kids to sit still. Personally I think it sets a tone in the house to do school at a certain time each day and call it that- even from a young age. My kids have never known anything different. Some kids are ready for school at an earlier age than others. DS1 was reading and talking about multiplication at age 3 without knowing what to call it. DS2 isn't behind at all but he doesn't seem as advanced as DS1 which is A-OK with me. What I'm most concerned with is that they LOVE learning and both of my kids do :)

Melinda29 02-19-2013 07:20 PM

5-15 minutes once a day would be plenty for a 2-yr-old. We do about 30 minutes once a day for my 5-yr-old for K.

Free Play and reading are your child's best teachers at that age.

erin_c_odonnell 02-19-2013 07:30 PM

Yep to all the above. Just play and learn/teach as you enjoy the days.