Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Milk blister (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493060)

finleyjudemommy 02-19-2013 12:32 PM

Milk blister

Title says it all...I think I have one...looks like a zit on my left nip...hurts like crazy when babe latches on! What do I do??

slyeates 02-19-2013 12:52 PM

I had one a few months ago. I waited until it came to a head (sounds like yours already has) then I sterilized a sewing needle and ran the needle over it. Like not poking it, but running it length wise over it. That is all it took and it released. I did it in the shower :) instant relief.

birdinhand 02-19-2013 05:31 PM

Re: Milk blister

Does it look soft, like the head of a pimple, or harder like a black head, if that makes sense? It could be a bleb, which is a bit harder because it can be congealed milk inside, which means chunky, lol.

If it is hurting you can experiment with different nursing positions, picturing your breast as a clock face, and having you baby lay all different ways to put that sucking pressure on different parts of your breast to see if that helps.

If it feels harder, like a bleb, you can tape a cottom ball soaked in olive oil on it to see if it softens and releases the contents.

finleyjudemommy 02-20-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdinhand
Does it look soft, like the head of a pimple, or harder like a black head, if that makes sense? It could be a bleb, which is a bit harder because it can be congealed milk inside, which means chunky, lol.

If it is hurting you can experiment with different nursing positions, picturing your breast as a clock face, and having you baby lay all different ways to put that sucking pressure on different parts of your breast to see if that helps.

If it feels harder, like a bleb, you can tape a cottom ball soaked in olive oil on it to see if it softens and releases the contents.

It's hard...will anything besides olive oil work? I don't have any in the house at the moment and would like to get this taken care of!

birdinhand 02-20-2013 09:32 AM

Any kind of oil that wouldn't be harmful if ingested -- vegetable, corn, etc.

HeatherlovesCDs 02-20-2013 09:49 PM

Susan, this is one of the few nursing things that I have no experience with. But, I just wanted to say Ouch! And, I'm so happy to see you and excited you had your baby. Congratulations!!!!!

Steph Ed 02-21-2013 05:43 AM

Talk about coincidence! I saw the title of your post yesterday but didn't click to read. Then I woke up with one this morning. This bad boy hurts!!!! It is right where her tounge pushes against my nipple. I will def be using the football hold next time she nurses on that side.

Steph Ed 02-21-2013 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdinhand (Post 16310989)
Any kind of oil that wouldn't be harmful if ingested -- vegetable, corn, etc.

Coconut immediately came to mind : )

tracyleigh00 03-21-2013 08:58 PM

How do you keep them from coming back? I keep getting this on my left side only.

l_Kimmie_l 03-22-2013 07:50 AM

I continuously got blebs on my left nipple for 4 months. They sucked. I just nursed through it. I never could get mine to pop. I was too chicken to get a needle out. I finally just stopped getting them.