Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Having a mini-stroke, please advise me! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493141)

WyattsMommy09 02-19-2013 03:19 PM

Having a mini-stroke, please advise me!

OK the plan has been for me and the kids to move home in March so that I can finish my RN. We've already dropped $10k into it, and I'm only $4k from graduating, and if I can get any grants to help, that would be awesome. I can't finish my RN here in CA because of their budget crisis. Not only are they not really accepting new students, but they have a 3-4 year waiting list. Plus they want me to retake at least 4 classes and labs, which will cost my astronomical amounts. And honestly, retaking the classes plus childcare all while not being able to get into their nursing programs ANYWAY (we're military and only here 3-4 years) is just dumb.

So the original plan was : Dh stays in the barracks, i move home and get a house and thats it. We save $2000 a month for any problems and visits...

Butttttt.... they're remodeling the BEQ. It will only take 6 weeks (which in military terms is what, 6 months? lol) but those 6 weeks are *right* when we need tham, as soon as we put out the $$ to get me into a place. And I'm crunching numbers left and right, but i just don't know if its possible. An apartment HERE will run probably $1300+, and a small apartment back home will run $800. That takes all but $200 of his housing allowance. Plus we have utilities and groceries and gas and books.. and i just dont know if I can do it, thinking about needing to pay for visits for him to see us.... and ugh...

i know its only for like 2 months but what if it doesnt change? what if we're stuck paying for 2 apartments for the entire 18 months??:banghead::banghead:

talk me down, please, before i have a nervous breakdown. We *just* got out of debt, i don't want to get back IN it?

We do have about $8k in savings as well, but that definitely wouldnt cover 3-6 months of seperate expenses...

keen1981 02-19-2013 03:22 PM

Cab't he rent a room here? It's relatively simple. Especially around bases.

Idk where you are in Cali but in SD the wait lists are long but you get on like 3-4 different ones. My friend got on them and was in a program very quickly. But they do require you to retake classes that do not transfer well. It sucks.

sassylilmama 02-19-2013 03:49 PM

Re: Having a mini-stroke, please advise me!

I would also suggest looking into renting a room.

mg5g 02-19-2013 04:15 PM

I think he should find a roomate or shared accomodation. AND I think you should move in with family if you can. You are going "home" right? If not then maybe you should also look for part of a house or another mom to live with to cut down expenses on both ends :)

WyattsMommy09 02-19-2013 05:19 PM

Thanks for the room recommendations, we'll definitely be looking into it!

And yessss.... TECHNICALLY there is family we CAN stay with BUT I'd rather eat ramen noodles 3x a day before I did that. LOL. Its my grandparents and while they are AMAZING with watching them 3x a week for a few hours and weekend visits, they probably won't do too well with us staying there. Not to mention hardly any room and its just overall stressful. Trying to keep the kids quiet while there PLUS trying to put them to bed whilemy grandparents are blaring their TV until 10-11pm just doesn't mesh well for us. I couldn't imagine trying to study around all that as well. Plus i like my privacy and want to be able to walk around naked if I wish and I'm really picky on how I want my kids to eat, and they're not. And if I live elsewhere I can at least pack the kids a breakfast/lunch when they go, kwim?

I know it sounds like I'm being too picky or demanding, but I honestly don't want the stress of trying to keep my kids behaving the way I want and eating what I want and just DOING what I want while I'm trying to graduate. Plus I don't want my grandparents calling my mom to complain about what I do with the kids, like they probably will. *sigh* 23 years old and they feel the need to still tattle on me to my mommy.

I love them, I would do anything for them, I *have* done anything for them *including taking care of them with a NEWBORN (think fresh out of the hospital) while one had pneumonia. But live with them I could never do. Last time I did that, it lasted 4 months and I ran off and got married after only knowing my husband for 2 months. LOL

bluecandi 02-19-2013 05:34 PM

Hugs!! I think the idea about renting a room or him getting a room mate would be good. I agree with you that living with the grandparents would be too stressful.....been to nursing school and without kids its a full time job. Hope the barracks are finished quickly!! What are they doing with all those soldiers in the meantime??

P!nkPepper 02-19-2013 05:48 PM

I thought you lost BAH if you lived in the barracks?

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

AcrossTheUniverse 02-19-2013 06:40 PM

Have him check craigslist for a room to rent. They usually run $600 or so in CA and you don't have to worry about utilities.

Heather- Wife to 1, Mom to 5!
80lbs lost & counting!
Sent using DS Forum

KrisM 02-19-2013 06:53 PM

I also think the roommates on both ends is what you need. What is the rent on 2 bedrooms compared to 3 bedrooms for you? If it's not a lot different, maybe you can rent a 3-bedroom and have a friend move in for the 3rd room.

threekstrio 02-19-2013 08:25 PM

could you buy or rent an RV to live in if you parked it at your grandparents? my friend did this with a 5th wheel. At least you/they would still have your own spaces. kwim? Then at the end of 18 months sell it. Stalk for a great deal on one and you should be able to sell it for more than you paid, or at least what you paid. :)
or maybe your dh could do this.