Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In May (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Stocking your freezer? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493176)

TryingHard 02-19-2013 05:43 PM

Stocking your freezer?

Who's stocking the freezer with after baby meals? What are you preparing? (If you don't mind sharing...)

sativa83 02-19-2013 08:48 PM

Re: Stocking your freezer?

I'm picky when it comes to freezing food so I was thinking I would stock my fridge and pantry with quick and easy meals and lots of quick crockpot meals

jennayoung99 02-19-2013 09:36 PM

I did lasagna with dd, we didn't eat any of it. So I'm not doing anything this time around. At least I'm saying that now, who knows how I'll feel in a few months.

Mom2ManyBlessings 02-19-2013 09:53 PM

We do lots of fresh fruits and veggies and after the baby I want to give my body all the healthy food it needs to recover but Im torn on freezer meals. Im thinking Ill freeze some taco meat, and some meat for a veggie loaded chilli, and then Im wondering how a zucchini lasagna wouls freeze? Otherwise I think were just gonna set extra $$ aside for some take out if Im feeling like I cant put together a meal. But itd be nice to have a few things ready. Maybe Ill freeze some soups and fresh bread.

Kristen - Helpmeet to an amazing DH. Mama to seven blessings (and #8 on the way!)

lemon.extract 02-19-2013 10:12 PM

To be honest i won't be stocking mine at all. The women at my church are excellent at bringing dinner after a baby is born.

cdeweese 02-20-2013 05:43 AM

We don't ever stock the freezer. DH takes care of all the cooking during the week or two that I'm healing :)

jennli15 02-20-2013 08:48 AM

I'm thinking I will just put together prepped meat so DH can just add sides. Thinking of doing meat sauce for pasta, taco meat and then a few chicken "bags" with marinade for the crockpot. I like to keep the freezer stocked with pancakes and smoothies for quick breakfasts.

deely 02-20-2013 09:44 AM

My DH doesn't know how much time he'll have off after baby comes, so I am stocking my freezer. My plan is to have 25 dinners, 20 lunches, and maybe 40-50 breakfasts. I didn't make anything ahead last time and it was a DISASTER! I'm gonna have more help this time, but after having a colicky baby who I could never ever ever put down, I'm basically preparing for the worst.

flobee76 02-20-2013 04:43 PM

I stock my freezer no matter what. Being a homeschooling mom, I need to have plenty of food ready for the kiddos! We have an upright freezer that I love. The bottom 2 shelves are full of grass-fed beef, top half is full of raw milk at all times.

Here's what I have in my freezer for meals:
chicken and beef bone broth for soups
2 or 3 quarts of beef/bean chili
homemade pizza dough
breakfast burritos
muffins and other breakfast breads
local/seasonal produce

What I would like prepare for baby
lasagna
green chicken enchiladas
meatloaf
meatballs
chicken tortilla soup
fish packets ready for the grill
chicken divan
chicken pot pie
homemade pie crusts

We grow a lot of our veggies, but also make weekly trips to the farmers markets. I usually blanch then freeze veggies, then put them in freezer bags.

I know that our church will probably offer to bring us meals, but we do have some dietary restrictions, so it's easier for us to have things ready.

flobee76 02-20-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deely (Post 16311060)
My DH doesn't know how much time he'll have off after baby comes, so I am stocking my freezer. My plan is to have 25 dinners, 20 lunches, and maybe 40-50 breakfasts. I didn't make anything ahead last time and it was a DISASTER! I'm gonna have more help this time, but after having a colicky baby who I could never ever ever put down, I'm basically preparing for the worst.

Would you mind sharing your meals list? I need more ideas!!!