Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Do you replace your MF inserts? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493209)

shan1212 02-19-2013 07:21 PM

Do you replace your MF inserts?

I've got my stash figured out now, 30 Diaper Rite pockets. Some of the inserts are two and a half years old. They're still absorbent, but they're crunchy and kind of flattened (we have hard water). Do you replace yours on a regular basis or just use them until they shrivel up or deteriorate?

kelpie169 02-19-2013 07:26 PM

We've had ours for...about 4 years and they're stil good. 2 layers of microfiber between fleece and cotton.

yogamama28 02-19-2013 08:38 PM

Immediately :) most of our MF inserts have never been washed. I always switch to flats or prefolds to stuff with. We have bad luck with MF :(

USNsis 02-19-2013 08:42 PM

Re: Do you replace your MF inserts?

Random thought for those who ditch theirs - if you don't list/gift yours, has anyone ever used them for house cleaning? I love my MF rags for cleaning, and I'd think the shape would be ideal for wiping things down!

aldermother 02-19-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USNsis (Post 16309481)
Random thought for those who ditch theirs - if you don't list/gift yours, has anyone ever used them for house cleaning? I love my MF rags for cleaning, and I'd think the shape would be ideal for wiping things down!

I'm thinking I may turn mine into "swifters." But to answer OP, I did change mine out between children. (2.5 years of diapering with the first)

shan1212 02-19-2013 08:56 PM

I know not everyone loves them, but they work for us! We used to use FB, but when they switched to minky inserts I was like, WHAT? If it's not broken, don't fix it!

kirst 02-19-2013 09:21 PM

My mf inserts seem just as absorbant as they were 6 months ago...they each hold around 9 ounces. I have stripped them all once with a long soak in RNG Funk Rock because I have hard water.

They fit very well into those small Swiffer type floor brooms and they do work well for that. I am on the fence with mf inserts because they do work well for my son- very absorbant for trimness- but I HATE stuffing with them because it wrecks the skin on my hands. I have just about replaced all of mine with other natural fiber inserts or prefolds.

It annoys me that now I am stuffing with a hodge podge of various inserts, hemp doublers, prefolds and the like...it'd be nice to have them all the same, but since it's just me stuffing them, I'd rather not have the mf. (My hemp and other inserts have all been bought a few at a time to spread out the cost because I have 20 pockets, and they are all different brands and sizes so that's one thing I would change if I were doing it again....just find what I liked to use and then get enough for all of the pockets.)

USNsis 02-19-2013 09:55 PM

I never thought about using them as swiffers! Perfect shape!