Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   pre-dissolve country save? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493419)

lingon 02-20-2013 12:04 PM

pre-dissolve country save?

I just discovered, if I dissolve country save in hot water before adding it to the laundry, my dipes get MUCH cleaner (even with a hot wash). I'm wondering if there's an easier way to do this - it seems to take almost half a gallon of HOT water to dissolve.

I have a front loader, I use the half scoop of country save, and then 2 TB of washing soda, and wash on hot. It takes forever to get hot water to my machine, so I start the machine first, on hot (have already done two rinses in cold, so dipes are already in the machine). After a bit, I run the faucet, it takes about 1/2 gallon to get hot, I dump that water in the machine. Then I fill the container again with the hot water, dump in the soap, and swish it around for a while. There are still some particles in the bottom. So I pour the soapy water into the machine, and add some more hot water to the container, and pour that into the machine. Then I rinse the container a bit, pour that in, and start the machine.

This is not very simple. I don't see how I could get it to dissolve in "a little bit" of hot water. It also seems that it's not good to mix it ahead of time, as the hydrogen peroxide it's generating will gas out.

Anyway, does anyone else have this issue? At least, I have seen my dd's rash improve since using cs, but I'd love an easier way.

Pixi6s 02-20-2013 01:42 PM

Re: pre-dissolve country save?

might want to find a liquid detergent or switch to country save liquid. I've always been told that with hard water you should always use liquids so they don't have to dissolve.

dagmomma 02-20-2013 02:11 PM

Would putting it in an old glass jar, putting the top on and shaking it work?

lingon 02-20-2013 05:43 PM

I read somewhere that powdered detergent leaves less residue. Not sure why, or if it's true, but since we're seeing some rash improvement (though diet I think is more of an issue) I hesitate to switch to liquid.

It does foam, though - so I wonder if shaking in a jar would lead to too much sudsing? I'll try it tomorrow.

blackberry75 02-20-2013 06:04 PM

I know this could be a PITA, but could you put the kettle on and boil a cup of water and dissolve the detergent in that. It would us less water and the hotterit is the faster/better it will dissolve.

Pixi6s 02-20-2013 07:43 PM

i had hard-ish water at my last place and i used biokleen liquid detergent.

aldermother 02-20-2013 09:55 PM

I have a top loader so, as the hot water is pouring into the drum of the washer, I just hold the scoop of detergent under the running water...it dissolves instantly for me. I am not sure why it takes so long for you? I would probably do the same as someone above posted...put it in a jar with hot water and shake it up.

Eta: Just stir it with a spoon instead of shaking for less suds!

lingon 02-21-2013 09:38 AM

Yeah, it puzzles me why it takes so much water to dissolve. Last time I checked, we had medium hard water, so that shouldn't be the problem. Does everyone else get it to dissolve in about a cup of water?

TrennaII 02-21-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagmomma
Would putting it in an old glass jar, putting the top on and shaking it work?

It's possible it would explode. It has oxygen bleach in it, so it makes hydrogen Peroxide when mixed with water. If you don't give the bubbles a place to escape... Watch out.

Oxygen bleach is no longer active after being in water for 4 hours, and you're never supposed to out it in a sealed container with water.

We have no difference in how clean the diapers get, if pre dissolved. Are you sure you need that much washing soda? I've heard to put 1T in a top loader.

Running the delicate cycle might help, it adds more water.

lingon 02-22-2013 09:10 AM

4 hours, huh? Useful to know.
I have soaked stained clothes in oxyclean all night, and then removed them and put more stained clothing in the same solution. And they still got clean. So is that the sodium carbonate that's remaining that is doing the job? Maybe I'll just start soaking things in washing powder.

ETA: I just kept upping the washing powder until we no longer got any stink. But I have adjusted my washing technique, so maybe I can start reducing the amount and see what happens.