Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Would you start with K or 1st Gr? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493428)

cowangel 02-20-2013 12:41 PM

Would you start with K or 1st Gr?

So, DD is 5 (as of Dec.) and she is really good at math - addition using #'s up to 10 in hear head, knows letters of the alphabet and what sounds they make and can write them, can write her #'s...she's done school some with her older brother who's in 1st...basically I just wanted to know...how did you decide whether to start with K level stuff or 1st Gr level stuff with your child? Considering starting 1st Gr, but don't want it to be frustrating for her...also don't want K to be so easy she's bored?

Kiliki 02-20-2013 12:55 PM

Re: Would you start with K or 1st Gr?

We started with K this year, it got too easy really quickly, so halfway through we ditched it and moved to 1st grade, which seems to be just right.

I think you could try K and see how it goes. If it's too simple, you could always just move her ahead.

2queens&1princenmyhouse 02-20-2013 01:08 PM

Welcome to my world! :giggle: I am in the exact spot with DS. He turned 5 in January and can sound out cvc words (and knows a few by sight), he can count/recognize #s to 100, add/subtract with manipulatives, etc. I don't know if it's right or not, but my plan is to continue The Reading Lesson (we're almost done with Lesson 5 now and we're moving through it pretty slowly supplementing with easy readers at the library as DS shows interest). He started Saxon 1 in January and we're taking our time with it as well. We usually do either a reading or a math lesson each day. When we finish those, DS will start LLATL Blue (I believe, unless he's doing really well with reading and then we "might" bump up to the next level) and Saxon 2. DD2 will be continuing her study of US History and whatever Apologia science she wants to do, so DS will probably tag along for that as he shows interest.

tallanvor 02-20-2013 01:32 PM

Well, as we don't do a box curriculum, I really haven't had this problem. I simply chose a reading program based on where they were and a math program based on where they were. As that's all we do in kindergarten, we were covered.

7mom7 02-20-2013 01:33 PM

I think it depends on what type of curriculum you go with. DS is very advanced in math and reading but he isn't ready for a more advanced curriculum in science or history. He doesn't have the attention span to work at a higher level in those subjects. I piece different things together to make the best fit for him. I also think some K reading/math programs are more advanced than others. We use Hooked on Phonics and with that program I'd place your daughter in Kindergarten reading. We use Singapore for Math and I'd place her in Kindergarten B or 1st for Singapore. You could also start her in K now and move quickly through it so she'd be in 1st by the fall if you schooled year round.

blondeviolin 02-20-2013 02:34 PM

We do whatever level they are comfortable with and still call them they're grde by age. So, my 6yo is reading 5th grade plus books, 2nd grade grammar, 2/3 grade math, 3rd grade spelling, etc. but she is still a "first grader." IMO, that's a huge bonus of homeschooling: I can give work at the child's pace and she's not bored with it.

cowangel 02-20-2013 02:40 PM

Thanks ladies...I still plan to say she's in K next year - I just wondered what level to try to put her at. We are having baby #5 over the summer so I'm getting box curriculums for the 2 that will be officially doing school next year to make my life easier and I've been struggling with whether to go with K or 1st for the boxed sets. I'm thinking I'm going to get 1st for MFW since I found it used for a good price and my DS is in 1st this year so we might even get to try some of it out with him this year depending on how the rest of the year goes...

stevensmom 02-20-2013 02:43 PM

this is for next year? then I'd probably go with 1st for her.

lyn1270 02-20-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowangel (Post 16312380)
Thanks ladies...I still plan to say she's in K next year - I just wondered what level to try to put her at. We are having baby #5 over the summer so I'm getting box curriculums for the 2 that will be officially doing school next year to make my life easier and I've been struggling with whether to go with K or 1st for the boxed sets. I'm thinking I'm going to get 1st for MFW since I found it used for a good price and my DS is in 1st this year so we might even get to try some of it out with him this year depending on how the rest of the year goes...

i think you'll be fine getting 1st grade for MFW. It tends to move at a slower pace than some curriculums, so she'll be fine. if you find it's moving too slow, then either add some extra stuff to it, or ditch the part that she is doing fine with. for example, my ds1 is almost done w/his math for the year, but he is only 1/3 of the way through with his phonics. So i will start him on 3rd grade math in May, but I will keep him in the phonics book until he finishes it, so he won't be in 3rd grade phonics til prob November. really, the only reason to have the official grade level is for paperwork. just work on whatever level she is on and you'll be fine :thumbsup:

cowangel 02-20-2013 05:11 PM

Thanks mamas...you made me feel better about doing what I felt was best...thank u for your advice :).