Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Hard Lump? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493633)

Namiko 02-21-2013 05:12 AM

Hard Lump?

I was bf my 3 month DD last night and after she was done I happened to feel that breast and noticed a hard lump at the very top that was slightly sore to the touch. First time mom EBF . . . what is this? should I be worried?

Fjb74 02-21-2013 05:17 AM

Just happened to see this... If its not warm to touch, reddened and your not spiking a fever (could be mastitis) is prob just a plugged duct. I got them all the time w/ my daughter years ago. Basically I got in the shower and let hot water pound on the area, the honestly expressed from the nipple/aereola until it started to come out like a thin piece of spaghetti. Often it was an inch or more long and soon as it unplugged, the blocked milk up in the duct will come rushing out in a stream till its empty.
I stopped wearing bras and was careful of anything pressing on that one area but it happened often. I got to the point that I just knew what to do and didn't worry.
But IF you start getting the first posted signs, call your doc asap.
Felicity

Lazy on the couch so sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Namiko 02-21-2013 02:21 PM

Re: Hard Lump?

thanks for the advice! yeah I think that's what it is. Tried to take a warm shower but turned out our neighbors upstairs had used most of the hot water. :( I've tried massaging the area while DD nurses and that helps for now.

Fjb74 02-21-2013 02:38 PM

Wet a wash cloth and put it in a ziplock bag not sealed them put in mic for about a min and put it on the area. Moist heat is better than nothing, maybe it'll be enough to express it. I remember I used to see a tiny white dot on the nipple, almost like a white head. But def as soon as you can get in a shower. I imagine it could lead to mastitis so don't let it wait. Also you could try nursing the baby w/ his/her lower lip pointed toward the area blocked. May require baby on floor and you hanging over on hands and knees but that would work too. ;)

Mom2jandb 02-21-2013 07:42 PM

Sounds like a classic clog to me. Pinch the back of your nipple with your fingers and slide them forward to the front of your nipple to put pressure behind the plug and push/pop it out. It could be easy or it could take several tries over the course of a few hours. You might find that you get the same clog repeatedly in the future.

abunchoflemons 02-21-2013 08:00 PM

thrush symptoms (i dont know these so u might have to look up)? i agree plugged duct though. try nursing in another position.

Namiko 02-21-2013 09:33 PM

what's weird is that it's near the top. Going to try more moist heat. Doesn't hurt much though.

Fjb74 02-21-2013 09:47 PM

Mine was always near the top. Looking at a clock face it was left breast 11 o'clock. And it happened many times. Just got used to it. Like I said, lover over your baby on hands and knees w/ her opposite you so the lower jaw does the work to suck it clear.

Fjb74 02-21-2013 09:47 PM

Lover = hover. Darn iPhone.

Mom2jandb 02-21-2013 09:57 PM

Mine are always near the top too! Interesting...