Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Bumgenius Hook and Loop (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493689)

princessgirl409 02-21-2013 09:06 AM

Bumgenius Hook and Loop

What is it in the diapering process that makes BG hook and loop get so nasty and pilly and curl so fast? Is it the washing or the drying or maybe even just normal wear?

I love hook and loop more than snaps and I love my Flips, but I detest nasty looking covers. And when they start curling up, it is bad!

I am willing to line dry if that will make a difference. But if it's just normal, I may have to find another cover.

lalalion 02-21-2013 09:09 AM

I saw someone who made her bg h&l last for years. She cut little strips of "loop" and made her own separate laundry tabs. They don't come off in the wash that way and they stay nice forever! Line drying covers will also help.

mypeanut09 02-21-2013 09:10 AM

Re: Bumgenius Hook and Loop

It won't. I line dried mine and they still got curly. I'm replacing my worn out aplix with touchtape. I'm curious if it will make a difference. It definitely seems to be hardier.

mypeanut09 02-21-2013 09:10 AM

It won't. I line dried mine and they still got curly. I'm replacing my worn out aplix with touchtape. I'm curious if it will make a difference. It definitely seems to be hardier.

princessgirl409 02-21-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mypeanut09 (Post 16315143)

Really? I was hoping this would be the fix. I don't know, I really love my Flips, but also wonder if I would like a wider cut cover to fit over pinned prefolds and flats.

keonli 02-21-2013 09:22 AM

Line drying does not help. I wonder if it's their brand of hook and loop that makes them go kaput so quickly. I line dried exclusively and had purchased many brand new BG years ago, and they all got pilly and ratty looking.

Maybe convert to snaps?

lalalion 02-21-2013 09:24 AM

Also, covers don't need to be washed on hot. Hot water can damage h&l also.

reybar-2009 02-21-2013 09:24 AM

I been using my flip covers for 17 months and they still look great. I only line dry so I think that is what keeps the velcro in good shape

Munchkin 02-21-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalalion (Post 16315135)
I saw someone who made her bg h&l last for years. She cut little strips of "loop" and made her own separate laundry tabs. They don't come off in the wash that way and they stay nice forever! Line drying covers will also help.

:thumbsup: THIS!!

I did this with my BG 3.0 pockets and the H&L lasted really well. Velcro stayed strong and didn't curl. It cost me about $3.00 (I think) to buy the long strip of "loop" from the fabric store and then I just cut small squares to fit the velcro tabs. Every time I changed a diaper, I just took the loop off the new diaper and fastened it to the dirty diaper's tabs and threw it in the wet bag. My BG lasted 2 years before my DD potty learned and we sold our stash. I have a brand new set of 4.0s for this new baby due any day, and I plan on using the same system once he's big enough to fit his pockets.

ajbailey89 02-21-2013 09:59 AM

BG aplix is the worst.