Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Need input on destashing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493739)

amf78 02-21-2013 12:14 PM

Need input on destashing

My youngest has been out of diapers for 2.5 years (he will be 5 on Sunday :cry:) so it's FINALLY time to destash some of the diapers. Here's my question: I think a few of the ones we tried to CD overnight with had some ammonia issues. I definitely know which ones we DIDN'T have any problems with, but there is a pile of them that we tried to use overnight that potentially could have ammonia stink. It's been so long that I can't remember exactly which ones, or how bad it was. Obviously we are way beyond being able to test them out. Clearly I would disclose the fact they may have ammonia stink and price them lower than I normally would, but as a buyer would you be scared off? We didn't use any of them overnight for very long because we just couldn't make it work.

Tris 02-21-2013 12:28 PM

Re: Need input on destashing

Why can't you test them for ammonia stink?

Pixi6s 02-21-2013 12:30 PM

If you wet them you will probably be able to smell it. Honestly I would wash them with a lot of detergent and oxygen bleach. Rinse them on HOT. Smell them. As long as they seem not too bad, sell em.

AHASRADA 02-21-2013 01:12 PM

A little bleach should take care of it if they're natural fibers. If they're synthetic, strip them.

TrennaII 02-21-2013 01:59 PM

I'd get a box of washing soda, and soak the diaper overnight at 2T washing soda per gallon of warm water. Then a rinse cycle, a hot wash with detergent and 1/4 cup bleach, and some rinses. Then disclose that they will smell like bleach because you just used 1/4 cup on them to prep for sale.

I did this on Grovia AIOs with Country Save detergent and the buying mama said they were very fresh.

mozartswannabe 02-21-2013 02:01 PM

I would just strip them then sell them for whatever you can get! But if I were going to buy used diapers I would strip them before using them anyway...

amf78 02-21-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris (Post 16315869)
Why can't you test them for ammonia stink?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixi6s (Post 16315889)
If you wet them you will probably be able to smell it. Honestly I would wash them with a lot of detergent and oxygen bleach. Rinse them on HOT. Smell them. As long as they seem not too bad, sell em.

I didn't think putting plain water on them would "activate" the ammonia smell, but I will give it a try. I was thinking I would have to get somebody to pee on them and I don't think anybody here would be up for that :giggle2:.