Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Dealyed speech in three year old (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494011)

airmans_angel 02-22-2013 09:05 AM

Dealyed speech in three year old

My son knows a handful of words, maybe about 50, and maybe 1/3 of these are clear... he is three years old. We work with him all the time and he is having issues and gets so frustrated about it. WE have an appointment with his ped on the 6th of March to discuss this. Any ideas on what it could be? We have thought maybe a very mild cause of autism (other red flags with him), language disorder, his androids or tonsils are enlarged (both my husband and myself had them removed. I had them removed at 2 for the same issues that my son is having). He can get some letters but some other letters he can not even get and when we correct him he gets so upset. Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with speech delayed and if so what was wrong, so we can bring up different things to our ped.

Dory 02-22-2013 09:19 AM

My son was a late talker and a lot of his consonants are pronounced wrong. I talked to his ped at his 3 year check up, and he didn't think it needed attention. We waited months, and had unsuccessful calls to the school system to try with them, when I happened to drive past a speech pathologist's office here in town. I called, had him evaluated next day, and it turns out he's got a pretty strong tongue thrust that causes the majority of his consonants to be formed with his tongue in his teeth. He goes three days a week.

So, talk to the pediatrician about it. But if you're concerned, do a Google for an SLP, and set up an appointment.

MyKylie 02-22-2013 09:21 AM

Re: Dealyed speech in three year old

Your ped should give you a referral to Child Find or Child Reach. He is three, so it will be through your local school district. They will screen your son for hearing, speech, motor skills, etc. If the ped does not recommend that, do it on your own. It may be hearing or speech delay or something else, but they are great about connecting you with what you need!

airmans_angel 02-22-2013 09:29 AM

Thanks ladies. Come to think about it also, my husbands oldest boy (7) had his tonsils removed and androids removed at three for the same issues Andy is having.

I just hope it to be nothing.
Just a few examples: Apple... is just pple.... George, is orge, Juice is Uice. Jump is ump. Bounce: once.... I am sure there is a lot more that I am missing, just to give examples.

kimb96 02-22-2013 10:40 AM

Ds did not talk well at 3 either. He did a lot of babbling. WHen he took off, he really took off and he hasn't shut up since :giggle:

ralenth 02-22-2013 10:41 AM

At 3, here you would want to schedule an evaluation through your local school district. They should evaluate a broad level of stuff first, and then more in depth in any areas found to have possible issues. And (this is just my opinion), but don't let this go. Speech issues are so much easier to help, the younger you get you the child help. I have a 9 year old and a 6 year old, both with apraxia, and my biggest regret is not getting the 9 year old help sooner.

Fashionably Green Baby 02-22-2013 10:48 AM

It could be lots of reasons. My ds has speech delay (moderate to severe) and the ped first though it was because of his ears. He had chronic ear infections and could not hear well because of them, but after 2 sets of tubes his speech really hadn't made much improvement. He had his adenoids removed also (nothing to do with speech) and that also had no effect on his speech. However speech therapy has helped him a ton

luvsviola 02-22-2013 11:04 AM

Call your school district and ask for an evaluation. It is free. He may qualify for developmental preschool, which is awesome and free. :) My son's speech exploded at developmental preschool, and he had been in private and EI speech since 3 months old.

mibarra 02-22-2013 04:10 PM

Agree with PPs, lots of potential causes, but that's definitely delayed. Here you don't' need a ped referral, parents can self refer at 2 to the local school district for an evaluation.

7mom7 02-22-2013 04:28 PM

One thing I didn't see mentioned were Omega 3's. DS2 was struggling with a massive stutter (it was SO sad) and our pedi said sometimes speech issues can be related to an omega deficiency. A week after going on Omega 3's he stopped stuttering and hasn't done it since. Coincidence maybe, but as long as he's under my roof he'll be taking them :) He takes Nordic Naturals Children's Chewable.