Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The babies who nap in sub-zero temps (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494067)

kai_e 02-22-2013 11:27 AM

The babies who nap in sub-zero temps

Has anyone seen this article? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21537988

I wish they had linked to the study as well instead of just the survey of parents. I find it interesting to see different attitudes in child rearing.

If it was the norm, do you think you would have your child nap outside while you were in a coffee shop, or put your child in a daycare where everyone napped outside?

l_Kimmie_l 02-22-2013 11:34 AM

Re: The babies who nap in sub-zero temps

My kids never nap(ped) off ME, let alone in something in freezing temps.

Nerissa 02-22-2013 11:41 AM

Maybe my baby would actually nap.

It is a completely different culture. What is weird/different for us (in the US) is perfectly normal there. I would do it. I love sleeping outside. I always have slept better when we go camping.

I remember having the best nights sleep--hiking in the mountains. It got cold enough to freeze over top of the lake and we slept in just sleeping bags on a rock. Only thing not covered with snow. We wore shorts during the day hiking.

canadianbakers 02-22-2013 11:46 AM

When Levi was 7-8 months old we had walked to the school to meet the older 2, he fell asleep in the stroller on the way home. Instead of waking him or bringing him inside, we all stayed outside and built snowmen while he napped. He had a great nap!

Obviously this wouldn't be with kids in just shirts or jackets - they're bundled up in snowsuits, mitts, boots, hats, and under blankets. If there's no/very little wind, they stay very nice and toasty!

Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 02-22-2013 12:29 PM

My mom totally did this with us! My brother in particular had some respiratory issues at birth and she swore by letting him sleep in his pram in winter. We live in Canada, by the way, so it was cold but we were bundled. And she wouldn't leave us out if it was TOO cold.

I think now I'd be more worried about someone walking off with my baby than the effects of the cold.

nonipie 02-22-2013 12:33 PM

I would. I actually did this the other day with my 5 month old while I was shoveling snow. He was wearing wool base layers, a snowsuit, socks and wool booties and inside a bundle in the stroller with the canopy up. He slept the entire time. We could never do that here as a culture though because some busy body would call the cops or something if you left your baby in the pram outside a shop. Luckily it was in my fenced in back yard.

cdeweese 02-22-2013 12:55 PM

My kids sleep so much better the colder it is (and so do we). We turn on the A/C in the afternoon now because they sleep better when it's 70 or below in their room. DD has bad eczema flare ups when she gets too warm and this really helps her skin.

Huxley 02-22-2013 01:09 PM

Ihad my daughter out last week in -25 Celcius and she fell right asleep. In the summer I'd let her nap on my deck because she slept so well.

UVASahm 02-22-2013 01:09 PM

There are also lower instances of sids in colder climates. My guy sleeps much better when it is cold out.

Junipervt 02-22-2013 02:09 PM

my mom used to have us nap in strollers (pram style) outside on the porch all seasons. she said we slept better. but in NJ it doesn't often get super cold in the winter.