Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   In need of good books for 8 year old girl (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494085)

mommy24babes 02-22-2013 01:26 PM

I need some good book suggestions for my avid reader.

She recently devoured the whole Judy moody series as well as all of the Ramona books.

I bought her a bean and ivy book but she was through it in less than 2 hours.

She really enjoys the stories just not long enough or enough of a challenge.
Tia

Christylkeller 02-22-2013 01:30 PM

Re: In need of good books for 8 year old girl

How about the Little House books or the old Nancy Drew Mysteries. Ann of Green Gables, Heidi, sooooo many classics to choose from!

NYCVeg 02-22-2013 01:50 PM

This site is great: http://www.amightygirl.com/

Some other suggestions:
Clementine series
A Series of Unfortunate Events
Mysterious Benedict Society
Natalie Babbitt's books, esp. The Search for Delicious and Tuck Everlasting
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
stuff by Cornelia Funke: Inkheart series, etc.
Harriet the Spy
The Phantom Tollbooth
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh
The Magician's Elephant
A Wrinkle in Time (and the sequels)
The Invention of Hugo Cabret
The Sisters Grimm series
The Tale of Desperaux
everything by Roald Dahl
the "shoes" series (Ballet Shoes, Skating Shoes, etc.)

tallanvor 02-22-2013 01:53 PM

Redwall
Where the Red Fern Grows
Nancy Drew
Narnia
Dark is Rising series
Hank the Cowdog
Left Behind Kids (based on the Left Behind books, but featuring kids)
Elsie Dinsmore
Esperanza Rising (and other books by the same author)
Misty of Chincoteague and others in that series

I could probably come up with a few dozen more if you need, but those were the ones my oldest liked most at that age. You should also check out the Newberry Award books and ask the librarian.

There aren't a lot of long books at that age. Mostly you have to look for more challenging content, not longer length.

mommy24babes 02-22-2013 09:57 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions :)

Mrsfroberg 02-22-2013 10:09 PM

My 6 year old just started reading the How to Train Your Dragon series. They're just enough to be a challenge for her- but she loves them! ... she also loves dragons, pokemon, and dinosaurs and not a lot of girly things!

MissPrettysMommy 02-22-2013 10:51 PM

I remember reading the nancy drew books at that age. I was only about a year or two older when Harry potter first came out. Little house on the prairie. Little women. They also have these historical fiction books that are from the view of a young woman during the time period like Elizabeth the 1st, Cleopatra and many others.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

waterisntsomething 02-22-2013 11:08 PM

I started reading Harry Potter at 8. That would definitely keep her going for a while.

jam's mum 02-22-2013 11:20 PM

I absolutely love Rumer Godden's novels for children (her grown up fiction too).

Of hers, I love:
The Dragon of Og (my favourite)
Listen to the Nightingale
The Diddakoi

Noel Streatfield, Ballet Shoes (and others)

Frances Hodgson Burnett:
A Little Princess
The Secret Garden

And my absolute, all-time favourite book that my mother took away from me because she worried I was becoming obsessed:

Elizabeth Goudge, The Little White Horse.

And for a fantastic contemporary children's author, Hilary McKay. I particularly like the Casson Family series, which starts with Saffy's Angel.

iris0110 02-22-2013 11:21 PM

I was going to suggest anything by Katie DiCamillo (Desperaux, Tiger Rising, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane ect) or Cornelia Funke (Ink Heart, Thief Lord, Igraine the Brave ect) as another poster suggested. My oldest adores the How To Train Your Dragon series and Deltora Quest but he is a boy if that matters. If she likes fantasy there are The Unicorns of Balinore. I'm not sure about Redwall, it is a rather dense series, really depends on her reading ability. I could have read it at 8 but many children would be totally overwhelmed (my oldest probably couldn't do it now at 11). Same thing with Harry Potter, the early books would be fine but some of the later ones get longer and have darker themes than some parents are comfortable with.

Other books I enjoyed at that age were the Albert Peyson Terhune Lad a Dog series as well as James Howe's Bunnicula series. Lad is higher reading level, Bunnicula a bit lower (and certainly funnier). I just liked dog books.

I have a whole collection of Dear America books that are aimed at the 8-13 age range but I have not read them yet (I intend to use them as part of our home schooling curriculum) so I cannot speak as to how good they are. She might enjoy something like that if she likes historical fiction.